London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
9 messages
09/11/2012 at 19:12

Hi,

I've been reading the Diaries of Sylvia Townsend Warner, she was a keen gardner as well as an author.  Among a number of roses in her garden she mentions one called 'Zéphirine Drouhin'.  I confess I'm very taken with the name, (a ridiculous reason to lead one to consider a plant I know, but I'm quite shallow) and she mentions it is very fragrant, (a good reason to consider a plant!)  I've read a little about it by doing an internet search but I was wondering does anyone have any experience of growing it?  Particularly I would like to know if it is prone to disease as the rose I want it to replace has suffered quite badly with blackspot and greenfly and I would like to have something more disease resistant.

09/11/2012 at 19:59

Gorgeous rose, absolutely beautiful, amazing perfume - it is no more disease resistant than most other roses, but if you can tolerate just a little imperfection then grow it - it is one of the most wonderful roses there is. 

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/zephirine-drouhin/

09/11/2012 at 20:20

Yes it is a lovely name and it matches a lovely rose.  Beautiful showy pink, and the fragrancy of the flower is great.  Plant this rose and look forward to next summer and the new (to you) flowers.  Another absolutely beautiful rose is one called Nostalgia - cherry red with creamy middle - so, so pretty and eye catching and the scent is of a real old fashioned rose, it is very easy going and well worth growing.  Enjoythe anticipation for next Summer.

09/11/2012 at 20:20
Yes it's a lovely rosebud it won't grow (and neither will any other ros??) where there has already been a ros?? growing. If ou want to site your new one where you were previously growing another one even if hat one was completely healthy, you will either have to change the soil completely or a good tip is to plant the new ros?? in a cardboard wine box (easily obtained from supermarkets) with fresh soil and then plant this whole thing. By the time the cardboard has rotted away, the surrounding soil should not be affecting the new ros??.
09/11/2012 at 21:38

I have had a Zephryn Drouhin climbing rose for the past 15 years it is a beautiful fragrant rose and another of its attributes is it is a thornless rose. The only thing I have found is it is susceptible to mildew but with systemic fungicide I have overcome this problem- well almost, but it wouldn't stop me having another if I llst this one.  Flowers from early June until Christmas and I live in the West Riding of Yorkshire.  A truly wonderful rose

10/11/2012 at 07:45

Sorry, the link I posted was faulty, hopefully this will work http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/zephirine-drouhin/

lots of information there about this lovely rose.

11/11/2012 at 20:30

Thank you all for the advice and comments.  I have dug out the soil where the previous rose has been growing and will now replace it with new soil along with new rose which I have now  decided will definitely be Zéphirine Drouhin.

11/11/2012 at 20:47

That's lovely.  I wish I had a spare spot for a climing rose!

11/11/2012 at 22:07

Hope you like it as much as we do, I am sure you will and I hope it gives you as much pleasure as it has given me

email image
9 messages