London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
9 messages
03/02/2013 at 14:33

hi, i would like help and advice on what to do next with two issues.  First issue is, i bought a small bare rooted ( its roots are in a plastic bag ) apple tree ( i think it called a whip) .  At the moment it in my utility room waiting for me to plant it,  but i am not sure what to do next,  do i plant it in a pot or plant it in the ground.  There appear to be young leaves growing already. You can tell that i am a novice gardener but i am willing to learn.  

Our neighbour at the bottom of our garden is putting a pitched roof on top of his garage  to create a bedroom. Also their kitchen window looks into our garden so my second issue is, what sort of hedging to plant ,I would like a fast growing and dense and also bird friendly. I would  really appreciate all the help i can get.  

03/02/2013 at 14:37

On the apple tree-without knowing the type or variety it is difficult to say-but assuming at present it is just a small specimen-plant in a pot-you can always plant in the garden at a future point

But it does need to be outside

03/02/2013 at 14:47

Laurel is fast growing and dense, but you have to like what you plant. I like it, some don't.

http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/  is a site with a lot of information and photos. Birds like pyracantha, but it's very prickly, they like cotoneaster too.

03/02/2013 at 15:11

The apple tree is a cox's orange pippin. The roots are in a plastic bag. Do i need to put anything in the soil when i plant it in a pot , also do i need to place the apple tree in a sheltered spot in the garden. Thanks sotongeoff for your advice.

03/02/2013 at 15:15

Get some decent compost-John Innes potting compost for a permanent planting is advised-it wont need feeding for a while-put it some where sheltered in the short term to get established and if it gets bitterly cold as forecast.

03/02/2013 at 15:56

To add to Sotongeoff's post above, can I suggest John Innes No 3 for your apple tree.

03/02/2013 at 23:38

hi,  now i can plant my apple tree using the right compost thanks to sotongeoff and dovefromabove.  Thanks Busy-Lizzie for Hedgesdirect Link,  i have chosen Laurel for my new hedge.

04/02/2013 at 06:53

Cox's Orange Pippin's need another apple tree from the right pollination group growing nearby, so the pollinating insects can transfer pollen from one tree to another, otherwise you'll not get any fruit.  Here's a list of suitable trees http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/pollinationchecker.aspx?v=1086 

04/02/2013 at 09:46

What an incredibe list on that site.

email image
9 messages