Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Need help identifying trees please

Hi there

Can anyone help identify the specis of tree in the attached photos?

The leaves go red in autumn before falling off. The berries go quite dark and look a bit like blueberries and pigeons like to peck at the berries.

Thanks Robert

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

a picture that showed the leaf shape would be good. They're all sideways or from underneath. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hi there

this is a photo of a leaf from the tree

• auntie bettyauntie betty Posts: 208

Looks like some kind of prunus to me. Can't think what else it could be! What's the flower like? White/pale pink/dark pink? And do the fruits have multiple seeds or single stones inside?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't think you get fruits like that onprunus species. That's more apple like

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Hi Robert,

Could it be amelanchier? The berries are edible but the birds always get them first.

• Hi guys thanks for the responses

The flowers in spring are white. I have cut open one of the fruits it is hard to tell but they appear to have multiples seeds I have taken a photo of the sliced fruit halved and quartered Im afraid the photo is not great as if I get too close it gets quite blurry I have added the 5 pence peice to help show its size hope this helps.

• Hi Pottie Pam

I have done a search on google images for amelanchier and it certainly looks like thats what it is, I didnt realise that the fruits were edible I shall attempt share them with the birds this year.

thanks very much