Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

30 year old sheep manure?

my landlord has a hill of 30 year old sheep manure that by now is just dirt. he says its 30 or so years old..will it still be full of nutrients ?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I'd snap it up if I had the chance. Even if it's just used as a soil conditioner, I'd bet the texture is divine.

Devon.
  • JohanneleJohannele Posts: 19

There will hardly be any nutrients left after that time. But I agree with Hostafan - use it! It will be perfect for improving soil structure. Just mix it in, or mulch with it, as much as you like.

• johngreenjohngreen Posts: 58

haha edd..

so the nutrients might not be that great? well i will try and add some other stuff too then. i did grab some of it in my hand and the texture was amazing yes!

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Just a thought but has the whole lot been sitting there for thirty years or is it an ongoing accumulation  When you say "hill" I envision a huge mound as big as a house. That's a lot to pile up in one go.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I'll help reduce the hill imageimage will bring my own truck..er..well only have a wheelbarrow image

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496
    How did the farmer train his sheep to do their 'business' in the same place for 30 years?
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

He had very good sheepdogs!

• johngreenjohngreen Posts: 58

I don't know why it's in that hill form. He just told me its been sitting there for 30 years. It just looked like top soil. it's quite big actually, bigger than a garden shed, top of the hill is probably the same height as the roof of a house. I need to find a trailer so I can load lots of it up! He owns the field around my place too and told me i could go and shovel that soil up but i dont want all that pesticide/herbicide infested soil

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

If you were local, I'd help you. I bet it's great for growing pumpkins and courgettes in. As you're in Canada, I'll have to pass.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

You could check for herbicide residues such as clopyralid or aminopyralid by filling a pot with the manure, and growing a few tomato seeds in. If there are herbicide residues, then the tomato leaves grow all twisted. If that happens I wouldnt use it. Dow promoted the use of these herbicides all over.  It stays in the grass, which animals eat and is passed out unchanged. I would test it before you risk spoiling your veg beds.