Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

9cm plants - grown on since Jan

I bought a load of 9cm Rudbeckia in January / early feb.  I potted them on into pots the next size up, and they have suddenly grown loads and there are a few roots poking out the bottom of the pot. When I pull the pot off I can see roots at the side.

Can I plant them out now, or do I need to be more patient and wait a bit longer ?

Any advice gratefully received.  I've never done the 9cm route before, but love it, so much cheaper...

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I think they're fairly hardy, though this might depend on the species.  If the roots have filled the pots they could do with moving on - but remember to harden them off first.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

They've been outside since January as I don't have a greenhouse, had them up next to the house for protection until mid March and then moved them into the sun a bit more.

the variety is Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii 'Goldsturm'.  Thank you.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

They would now be better off in the ground. If you were to get a severe frost, plants are more protected in the ground, than they are in a pot.

You will find others , who say, they need to be potted on a few times before being planted, but IMO they are tough plants, and can go out now.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

I put 3 of these in the ground directly as 9cm plants last April.  They all grew and gave a lovely late summer show.

Picture attached was mid-October.

So I'm sure yours would be fine if you've already grown them on a bit.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

keep a bit of fleece or old net curtain handy to cover with in case of later frosts, plant out and enjoy. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Goldsturm is hardy as long as the drainage is good peanuts.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Sandy soil so good drainage, thanks.  Will plant them at the weekend, the question is now where to put them all...imageimageimage

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

aha a, do you too have the 'plants are there so they must fit in the garden' attitude?  The green bit in ours  (can't really call it lawn) is gradually decreasing as time goes on………………..