London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
6 messages
10/09/2012 at 16:14

I have clematis that is suppose to be a double head type and in deed it was till this year and now its decided to be single.Is it the weather or is it reverting to the original?

10/09/2012 at 16:27

Rose , this usually happens to mine during the second flush of flowers. Did it flower as a double earlier on in the year ?

11/09/2012 at 07:09

What variety is it?  Clematis don't revert but many of the large early flowering hybrids with double flowers produce a later second flush of single flowers.

Try feeding it in early spring and at intervals to the first set of flowers with a proper clematis feed or rose or tomato fertiliser as these all promote better flowering.

13/09/2012 at 20:19

proteus....something like that,it has only flowered once.wondering what I have done wrong.

13/09/2012 at 20:19

proteus....something like that,it has only flowered once.wondering what I have done wrong.I have fed it with comfrey.

13/09/2012 at 21:36

This one? - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=617

Did you prune it this spring?  If so you'll have taken out the flowering wood and it's gone staright to producing the scond flush on this season's wood.

Or it may just have had a hard winter or been badly frosted when forming the double flower buds for the June display or just be too hungry to produce the usual first flush of doubles and has gone straight for the second flush of singles.

Don't feed it any more now and don't prune it either but do make sure it gets a good feed of proper clematis food next spring and see if that does the trick.   In future years, prune lightly after the first flush of flowers and feed it again to encourage the second flush in late summer.

email image
6 messages