London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
8 messages
08/04/2013 at 17:36

I seem to be having problems with threads i have posted in the Forums section peeps, hence why this post will be a long one sorry.

No1: I have to Fatsia Japonica both in a North East facing garden on the North West facing wall. Last year one was moved (the older one), although both seem to be struggling at this time of year that one seems to of slowed down its growth since being moved and doesnt look as healthy with new growth. Does anybody have any suggestions on trying to re-vitalise this lovely plant?

No2: It is still to cold where i live, so grass cutting hasnt commenced. However i laid new lawn last year, making the mistake i think of sieving the ground to much and removing to many small pebbles/stones. After a few months of vigourous growth i started noticing patches and areas getting slightly waterlogged. Over winter i have also noticed worm cast. I have started to aireate the ground and fill the holes with sand but due to the cold not started to cut or scarify it. Is this my only option?

08/04/2013 at 17:56

Dont worry about the Fatsia. It allways takes a while for shrubs to get over being moved. It will perk up.

As for lawn what you aredoing sounds fine, lthough I am not one of your lawn obssesive blokes.

08/04/2013 at 18:43
Exactly what punkdoc says. It's been such a crazy winter that plants have suffered quite widely. When we get some real warmth again we should see things normalise. ,so wouldn't worry right now
08/04/2013 at 23:34
My fatsia went mushy in the middle and 2 tiers of leaves have faded and come off. I'm keeping everything crossed it comes!
09/04/2013 at 08:31

Punkdoc is right -your Fatsia will perk up as the weather improves. A feed and a mulch and it'll be fine! Lots of stuff is struggling regardless of where you live. They'll take a bit of pruning which can rejuvenate them but I would wait till the conditions are a bit warmer and it would save it from any extra stress. I do love them!

09/04/2013 at 10:01
I wouldnt worry about the lawn as its the same all over. There has been so much water and rain fall that even the best drained lawns have been water logged.
25/04/2013 at 20:37

Thanks for all the advice guys lets hope we have a good spring/summer.

25/04/2013 at 20:55

my fatsia looked really sick,with leaves turnong brown and falling off,kept clearing away the dead leaves ,and have just noticed new leaves and growth,so it seems just wait and see,it will probably pick up.

email image
8 messages