Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

A Gardener's Hands

At this time of year I have unbroken fingernails and reasonable looking hands, but very soon I'll have broken nails and chapped and sore hands and they'll remain like that until the winter has set in again

I wear cotton gardening gloves for as many jobs as possible, but they're not comfortable or practical for every task.

I've tried all sorts of hand creams to help my hands - which do you find works best on a gardener's hands?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I treated myself to L'occitane hand scrub and hand cream, not cheap but it is fabulous and lasts a long time.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • I tend to wear cotton gloves as well. It usually stops me getting baker's hands. I've used E45 and Vaseline, which are quite good. I was also once given a sample pot of some sort of gardeners' hand balm at a Bloom event, but 'er indoors nicked it for her feet before I had a chance to road-test it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I'm dead butch so I don't bother.

Devon.
  • I hate any form of handcream but O'Keefe's working hands if very effective. I can tolerate the bodyshop ones because they smell pretty.

A homemade hand scrub of olive oil(or any other food grade oil) & sugar with a couple of drops of essentil oil works quite well followed by handcream just before bed.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I ue vinyl disposable gloves they're the best but they do break easily,but they're OK for working with compost,weeding and emptying the compost bin sometimes my nails break through but they're OKimage
  • I use Showa gloves or something similar,  with coated palm and finger tips and cotton backs and find them very good for lots of jobs. For weeding I buy boxes of surgical gloves from the local farm supplies and find they will last more than one use if you are careful not to stab them on a stick or something. No good if it's hot though, but that happens so rarely here, it automatically counts as a holidayimage

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

My hands and nails are my pride and joy. I always use leather gloves when in the garden. If you get (expensive) well fitting ones they are like a second skin. My nails are always long and polished. I look on my gloves as an annual investment.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I use those vinyl gloves as well, my son gives them to me he has them for handling gunpowder. They do get a bit sweaty inside but they're not on for long, only for delicate jobs then thin cotton for other things.

i like a nice hand cream that disappears ,have a few that work and I can knit all year round.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

One of the nicest hand scrubs / creams I had was Crabtree and evelyn 'La Source' range.  That was before kids when I had £££, nowadays it is neutrogena hand cream, or Arbonne hand cream. 

(got given some lovely White Company hand cream, I get given lots of hand creams as I love gardening..., it smelt lovely but is rubbish for actually doing anything )