London (change)
Today 18°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
8 messages
27/06/2014 at 23:45

Time and again members post questions relating to poolry plants.  As I have so often said. Many wiered and wonderful thinggs are taking place outhere.  Please before getting yourself into a panic attack. Get a peice of plastic tube.  Poke it into the soil around your ailing plant.  Go on. push it in at least a foo or even more.  Now withdraw it..  Now place the end on a clean sheet of paper. Then from the other end. Poke a threader.  This wil eject the contents of the tube.  You will now be able to examine the moisture content of the sub soil. Moer often than not. This wil provide you with much information..  If at a depth of say one foot and the soil is dry. Water. Nine out f ten times.  A plants decline is due to lack of or over watering.

28/06/2014 at 09:11
You are quite right Mike. I am learning how to manage pots on a covered balcony so no natural water. Some of my pots are quite deep and it is heard to know if they really need watering, the soil can appear very dry on the surface and when just poking my finger in. Some pots which I decided to redo to improve the water retention were actually quite waterlogged at the bottom - so my problem was the opposite of what I thought.

I have bought myself a small moisture probe which I can push into the pot and it tells me how moist or dry the compost is - a godsend , only cost ??7.99 ( does ph too). I now water about once a week even those pots which are in full sun.
28/06/2014 at 09:21
Why pay for a moisture probe when you have got Mike's clever tip. (Not that I'm a tight b*****r)
28/06/2014 at 11:17
I hadn't got the tip then : )
28/06/2014 at 20:45
I've had a moisture probe for years now and find it particularly useful as I have clematis in pots and found difficult to judge how much water they needed. Same for a potted acer. Not a ph tester too though - that is really useful.
28/06/2014 at 22:26
Thanks for the tip, Mike.
29/06/2014 at 00:20
Actually folks. I must apologise. Believe me. I have been trying to post all day. Thanks to Dove, I took her advice and managed to get around it.

My ref to plastic tube. I should have made it clearer. Use a length of plastic tube, the kind that is used for water tank overflows etc. Usually coloured grey or black. This is rigid and wil do the trick.
29/06/2014 at 00:35
Thank you Mike, I will try that in more open ground for the newly planted dogwood.
email image
8 messages