Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

A test for those with rhodo knowledge

I have a boundary hedge down one side and have 3 different rhodo's in there.  Anyone know what type they may be ?  Are there any of the native invasive ones I should be wary of ?

1) This had pretty purple flowers last year. Someone asked on a previous post if this is a poniticum due to the colour, are they the right leaves for that variety ?

2)   Type number 2 -  This didn't flower last year either as it was buried under snowberry. 

3) This one didn't flower last year, am hoping those buds are going to burst into flower this year so we can see what colour it is. 

I'm sure you all like a nice little test at this time of night...image thanks in advance for any help.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

R. pontica is invasive

There are no native rhodos

There ends my knowledge of rhododendronsimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

haha, well that is more knowledge than i have then. thank you. image

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Thanks Mike, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean about looking a bit on the green side ?  Are you thinking the soil not acidic enough and therefore lots of leaves but no flowers ? 

Rhodo's are everywhere round this area and in gardens either side of us, they bloomed really well last year and not due to hard work of owners.  I've given them all some rhodo food last year and this year and put some ericaneous compost on them a few months ago. 

I guess time will tell if they flower. patiences have never been a virtue of mine. 

Less of the old as well thank you Mike imageimageimage not 40 til december, then feel free !

• Hi Mike. I have to disagree with you about the wonder of Rhododendron ponticum. There are hundreds of other Rhododendron species and thousands of cultivars from all sorts of crosses. Most of these have much more polite habits than R. ponticum, which is a major pest in woodlands, moorlands, NT estates, nature reserves and gardens all over the UK. It deserves every bit of its bad reputation.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

I have never riden a wild horse.............sorry thought it said Rodeo Knowledge

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.