Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

A very fast growing climber to cover cherry tree by this summer

Hi,

My lovely cherry blossom tree is almost bare due to leaf spot and I would like to cover the bare tree for this summer with a very fast growing climber. Desperate enough to consider Russian Vine. I am looking for some very quick cover and happy to dig out/cut down remove it within a year if my tree recovers.

Most of the plants I have considered such as clematis say they are fast growers but not sure if they are fast enough for cover in a couple of months.

Thanks in advance.

ps: I am a novice gardner.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

It won't recover if you grow creepers up it - it needs every chance it's got to access fresh air and sunshine, as well as nutrients from the soil.

If it's a bit of an eyesore I'd plant something eye-catching nearby as a distraction.  

Have you  had the leaf-spot diagnosed?  Are you sure what's causing it?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• 95% sure it is leaf spot. Spreading upwards and the leaves are droping off. Round spots and then turning brown before falling off. The warm and wet winter has helped with the spread. I am hoping that it is robust enough (being nearly 9 years old) to recover.

The tree is the focal point in my little garden and with no leaves visible at all I wanted something to cloak it.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I'd try spraying with Bordeaux Mixture, and giving the area around the tree a feed with Fish Blood and Bone - according to the pack directions - with any luck your tree might grow some more leaves. 

Good luck image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Good luck with the tree.

I have a suggestion but there is little knowledge behind it so hopefully Dove or someone will be back to advise properly.

Why not try a clematis in a pot, then after pruning in spring it will not be 'attached' to the tree. If the tree recovers you can move the clem. If it doesn't it can be planted against it. Check for vigorous growers, pruning group (when to prune esp as a young plant), and when they flower. Taylors clematis has an easy to follow guide, clematisman have a good range of healthy cheap but young plants (see previous thread ).

• SusiejennySusiejenny Posts: 22

I have never done this but if you want the sick tree covered this summer why not put in some quick annuals like Morning Glory and perhaps hang some pots in the branches with Black Eye Susan or Nasturtiums etc which would scramble up and fall down!  The Hops are quick too, Golden is very pretty.  Just some suggestions..  All the best.

• Lion SLion S Posts: 263

If you like white flowers you could try growing Solanum jasminoides, Potato vine up the tree. It behaves like an annual, as it's frost tender but it's certainly growing fast.

• Thank you soo much. I will investigate all these suggested plants and see what I can get locally.