London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
7 messages
01/05/2013 at 09:34

Hi,can anyone help? I have an acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' in a large pot. I have had it for several years and it has been steadly growing well.  However, there seems to be a problem this spring, the new leaves seem to be well grown and plentifull but they do not seem to be unfurling properly and seem quite limp.  I have not treat it any differently, can anyone give any suggestions or advice?

01/05/2013 at 21:41

Hi Mary P

With the funny weather we are having this spring my acers are also taking a while to get going. Some have been through the stage you describe (leaves half unfurled and hanging down) but eventually picked up and now look fine.  I think it is because we get a couple of nice days then back to freezing again - so they start to develop and then get checked for a bit.  I would wait another couple of weeks before worrying that anything is wrong.  Good luck 

01/05/2013 at 21:51

Mary poppins

Yes I think it's just the weird weather.  Usually at this time the nights are warmer but this year they are so cold.  The sun right now is strong so there is a wide variation in temperature....not suitable for Acer foliage

When the temps stabilise your Acer should recover

01/05/2013 at 21:52

Oops,  rather as chicky has said.  At least we agree chicky!

03/05/2013 at 14:23

Thanks Chicky and Verdun, I will sit tight for a while.  I feel better knowing other acers have been the same and recovered, fingers crossed!

Thanks again

03/05/2013 at 14:31

Mine is exactly the same - just make sure it has enough water and it will be fine.

19/05/2013 at 08:07

Hi, just an update, I sat tight with my acer as you all advised and it is alive and well.  It  actually looks better than ever, really full leaves, a complete transformation.  Thanks again, I was on the verge of giving up.

email image
7 messages