London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
12 messages
18/01/2014 at 14:41

Acer Negundo Variegata. Hi everyone and Happy New Gardening Year. My problem is : Is it ok to prune this tree now? On occasion I have trimmed it but it has bled. Now it needs a good shape up. Any ideas?

18/01/2014 at 14:58

Hi Patzz, This tree is also known as a boxelder.  From: http://www.easybloom.com/plantlibrary/plant/boxelder-1

"Pruning:

Generally, pruning isn't necessary, but small trees can be pruned in order to accentuate shape. If pruning is desired, make cuts during summer/early fall (for climates with mild winters) or between late fall and mid-winter (in climates with freezing-temperature winters) in order to minimize sap bleeding."

It's a US site so as we are in the UK I would take 'freezing climates' advice and prune it now if it really needs it but I expect it will bleed regardless.

18/01/2014 at 15:18

Hi Bob, I expect it will. Normally I would,nt dream of pruning it but my daughter ill advisedly had to have this tree and it just grew and grew and was not planted in a place capable of letting it flourish. And guess who gets the job of pruning!!! Many thanks for your reply. I shall be taking the saw round soon. Good old Mum and Dad

18/01/2014 at 17:28

Prune it as soon as possible when it's dormant, then it shouldn't bleed. Once the sap rises it will bleed, so never prune in spring.

18/01/2014 at 17:34

acers are real bleeders aren't they. 

Acer negundo doesn't go well here and has never got to need any cutting but the field maples drip for days if I cut a branch off, even in the winter

18/01/2014 at 18:37

My OH pollarded ours between Xmas and NY because it was over 8 m tall with lots of ingrowing branches, it didn't bleed at all. May not have so much shade this summer, but a bloke along the road did his last year and it grew like the clappers again, is now almost as big again as when he started.

18/01/2014 at 19:19

Are we talking about the same plant when I refer to Acer negundo Flamingo?  Thinking now I believe it is different but same treatment.  I'll check it out.

This is a shrub that grows 7' high and 10' across every year from being hard pruned to the base.  It is an absolute beauty.  A real eye catcher here....pink, white, cream amd pale green leaves.  In addition I pinch out the leading shoots 2 or 3 tiimes during the growing season to make it more dense and to encourage the brilliant pink new shoots.

As for "bleeding" well, no.  None at all.  I prune in the autumn here but spring is prob best in colder areas.   To its sunniest side I grow salvia cacalifolia.  Bright blue dumpy flowers look great next to it.  

18/01/2014 at 19:22

Thanks everyone. Bleeder or not it,s for the chop. And the sooner the better. Though I suspect it will give it the incentive it needs to double in size. Triffid anyone ??

18/01/2014 at 19:26

Hi Verdun, I think this is less refined and has made a tree. My daughter was sold it as a small tree for a small garden. Depends on your interpretation of small I suppose.

26/07/2014 at 20:46

I have a Flamingo acer that does not look happy,being eaten ,i also have other Acers that the leaves are starting to look moth eaten,and brown on the ends,should i cut my Flamingo back and how much,it is in a pot and about 4feet tall.

24/08/2014 at 12:11

Quite a few of the branches have reverted their leaves to green so after reading the above I think that I will mark the branches now and prune late Winter to Spring!

24/08/2014 at 17:32

Pull off those green shoots.  Dontt prune those green shoots...they will simply respond next year even stronger.  

email image
12 messages