London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
6 messages
04/11/2012 at 18:05
Can anybody help please. I have a poly tunnel with raised wooden beds made from sleepers. I have had the beds for two years & this year a white fungus is spreading from the sides of the beds into the soil. I can actually peel the fungus from the inside of the beds & when I dig down the side I have removed what looks like white roots, though these don't belong to any fruit or veg. Some of the fungus has spread to my turnips & made them 'mushy'. Does anyone know what this is and what I should do.
04/11/2012 at 18:12

One theory-could it be something to do with the sleepers-if it is comimg from the sides?

04/11/2012 at 18:39
Hi, I'm not sure. I've googled and seen some similar pictures in relation to something called actinomycete but I can't find any advice on how to treat this if indeed it is that. I have 4 raised beds and the problem is in two of them, obviously my concern is that this is something that could spread.
04/11/2012 at 18:45

I know that white stuff you can peel off, I see it on the logs I leave for wildlife. I thought sleepers were thoroughly dowsed in creosote or something and that wouldn't happen but I suppose after a time any treatment will have leached away. I should think it's coming from the wood, most of those sort of fungi are on wood. 

04/11/2012 at 19:16
Thank you. They were treated when bought and I wouldn't have thought about retreating the inside. Much appreciated.
04/11/2012 at 19:36

Just a word - don't use creosote on wood in the garden - nothing will grow anywhere near it for years and years!

email image
6 messages