London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
17 messages
01/04/2013 at 18:09
Has anyone used B&Q verve peat free compost and how was the growth performance Cogie
01/04/2013 at 18:45

Yes, used it last year and have some more this year. It's been absolutely fine for me but other folk have not had good experiences I believe. Try a bag and see? I've also recently got some Lidl seed compost and it is lovely stuff at a lovely price

01/04/2013 at 18:45

I won't even be touching the stuff, let alone be buying it.  I use Humax.

01/04/2013 at 22:19

i also have used the b&q one and was also fine for what i wanted it for and i would buy it again

Lyn
03/04/2013 at 21:22
I have recently bought morisons own, it was discusting, i have put it on the garden for a soil improver,
I have taken brums advise and bougt 4 bags of erin exel for 18.00 and it really is excelent. I shall be using this from now on.
I did try the verve, damp heavy and went mouldy on the top of pots even without watering it, had lots of hard lumps in it and bits of stick. Wouldnt buy it again, i thought it was nice at the beginning, then i saw how it progressed,
04/04/2013 at 11:44

Arthur Bowers multi-purpose is rubbish this year. It is  about 50percent shredded bark and pieces of plastic. I took up an offer of 5 bags for £15 and it was utterly disgraceful the kind of stuff in the bags. I am going to use it as mulch when the weather improves. total waste of cash.

04/04/2013 at 12:00

I've never seen Humax in any of my local centres - loads of the other crap. But my allotment shop stocks it and is very popular amongst us gardeners.

Here's a link to a stockiest I've found online.

http://www.interhort.com/products/tr_103141_humax_multipurpose_compost_60ltr.php

I'm off to the garden soon and I'll checkout which type I have. Although I'm almost sure its multi and I gets used for sowing right to filling baskets/pots.

I'll take some pics of it's consistency and content - it's good stuff !! 

04/04/2013 at 17:23

Third comment down Brumbull

marshmello wrote (see)

I won't even be touching the stuff, let alone be buying it.  I use Humax.

04/04/2013 at 17:26

Agree with you on the liddle seed compost £1.50 for 20 litres i am very pleased with it. Its good stuff.

04/04/2013 at 17:40

How do a get rid of my  woodlice and slugs my garden is plaque with them

04/04/2013 at 17:45

Absolutely Brumbull - when you've spent a lot of money on nice seeds, the last thing you want to do is sow em in crap compost. I pay only £4.50 for a 60 ltr bag, so it's not badly priced...well not for me.

As promised - I had two different sorts - the visuals say it all. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20977.jpg?width=233&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20978.jpg?width=233&height=350&mode=max

04/04/2013 at 17:51

Stupidoldgit, leave the woodlice alone - they're good guys and do no harm in the garden, but do help the composting process.

As for slugs, garden hygiene, garden hygiene and more garden hygiene, coupled with the regular use of nematodes is my recommendation.

This is interesting - I've not tried it myself http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningequipment/8675592/The-war-on-slugs-starts-at-home.html

04/04/2013 at 17:58

I buy it from the Allotment Association Shop - on site, where my allotment is located. I just got sick of the rubbish that garden centres sold, so decided to give this a go. Never regretted the move. Its fine. 

04/04/2013 at 18:06
COGIE wrote (see)
Has anyone used B&Q verve peat free compost and how was the growth performance Cogie

..early days but so far I'm rather surprised at the result as all my tomato seeds have germinated in it and growing strongly, lovely little seedlings, including one - 'Suncherry' that I've had problems before with other composts... so despite my horror at seeing it initially - all a bit woody and lumpy - I shall keep going with it for now.

04/04/2013 at 18:34

This year instead of using the same old, same old I bought a small bag of miracle grow seed and potting compost and I have to say it was brilliant, my seedlings are very strong and have really good roots on them.

One draw back is that the compost is very dark and it's not always obvious if they need watering or not.

The seedlings haven't bolted either it's as if all their energy has gone in to growing a good root system - I'll be buying another bag next year!

22/04/2013 at 10:34

I've done OK with Verve for seeds and pots but agree it doesn't seem to last well in pots so I'm going to go for something better now as I've got a lot of things to pot on and don't want to be wasting water (or time).

So thanx for the tips for Humax & Erin's Excel

22/04/2013 at 10:40

Just been on the interhort website and the HUmax produacts all say peat based.  Can't find Erin's Excel anywhere :S

email image
17 messages