London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
10 messages
01/10/2012 at 20:11

I have a large collection of Aeoniums.  I leave them in the garden all summer and bring them into my south facing conversatory in September.  Immediately they are brought in they start dropping their lower leaves.  This continues throughout the winter months with the stems getting longer and longer!  Come Spring they perk up and start growing again.  I have tried gently cutting out the centres (which makes them bushier) but does anyone know a solution to my problem?  Should I water more often?  They are quite dry at the moment.  Also how can I induce them to flower (which one did a couple of years ago).  Please help.

01/10/2012 at 22:57
Rosemary, I grow just 2 varieties Schwarzkopf and another but they grow as yours do, I.e. forming a trunk. Is it because of shortening daylight? Is it their natural habit to do this? I cut the stems back hard in early spring and this makes them bushier but less likely to flower. Not too many miles fom me aeoniums are grown outdoors and are huge. Mine often overwinter outside in pots but I take cuttings which themselves make good plants next season. I look forward to others posting on this too.
01/10/2012 at 23:00
Rosemary, just looked up your profile. What unusual plants do you grow?
03/10/2012 at 20:11

Christoper2 - I cannot believe you grow them outside - we went down to -12 last two winters!  Tried overwintering in my unheated greenhouse but even though well wrapped up etc. they rotted off.  In regard to unusual plants - I try to grow things my visitors (I open under the NGS scheme) would not normally see.  Rehmannia, Asarum Splendem, Nicandra, Liriope Muscari, "Spotty Dotty", Eucomis etc. etc.  Also tried a lovely petunia called "Pretty Much Picasso" this year.  They say you can overwinter it but the plant gave up the ghost and so did the cuttings!  I shall try again next year.

03/10/2012 at 20:25
A real plantswoman here, I think. It's only occasionally that aeoniums survive outdoors. Needs just one very cold night doesnt it, to lose them? Pelargoniums often survive too. I dont know some of the plants you mention so will look them up. I guess the oldest aeoniums to survive outdoors were about 4 years.
16/03/2014 at 02:39

Help! Something is eating the leaves of my Aeonium Schwarzkopf. 

Last week the leaves of one of Aeonium had holes like pock marks, are something akin to bites from the edges. Six days later five more Aeonium are in the same condition. Can anyone identify the source of the problem and suggest possible solutions?  Thank you!

16/03/2014 at 07:22

At this time of year I would suspect snail damage, or possibly vine weevils.  Can you show us a picture of the damage?

16/03/2014 at 08:53

Aeoniums tend to grow that way....leggy and dropping lower leaves, ESP over winter.

I take cuttings in early spring....taking top growth....and they root very quickly and help main plant become bushy

16/03/2014 at 09:00

Verdun - Stephanie's question was about holes in the leaves - she tacked it onto the end of the thread about aeoniums dropping leaves - have another coffee! 

16/03/2014 at 09:48

My Aeoniums overwinter in a cold g/h...................and although they tend to lose some of their leaves they quickly pick up once the warm weather arrives.  They require very dry conditions over the winter to stop them from rotting.

As far as I know they need a good long hot summer for them to flower.  I've only managed it once .

Mine too have been eaten this winter.......tiny dark green caterpillars ( unsure of what type ).  The same thing has also attacked many other plants - both in garden and g/h

email image
10 messages