London (change)
Today 23°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
13/12/2013 at 12:33

These are plants I bought in the summer - beautiful blue flowers and dark healthy leaves - now these have turned yellow. Is it too late to feed them again or will this make them susceptible to damage in the winter? They are currently in my front garden - should I move them to my unheated greenhouse instead?

Advice appreciated!

Syldi

13/12/2013 at 12:39
Sylvia - nearly all of my agapanthus are deciduous. At this time of year their leaves go yellow, i pull them off, i put the pots in a shady place where they will not get too wet and leave them alone til spring. In about March they start producing fresh leaves for the new season.

Some are evergreen, and keep their leaves all winter. They normally have narrower leaves than the deciduous ones.
13/12/2013 at 12:47

Chicky - thank you for your e-mail - I shall move them to a more sheltered location - the greenhouse I think.

13/12/2013 at 12:51
a GH would be perfect - don't water them til the shoots start to show in spring, then get going with the feed and water for a great display next summer
13/12/2013 at 13:36

Sylvia - I have some growing in the border, and I heap some compost on top of them for protection in the winter.  The ones growing in pots get moved to behind the greenhouse, mainly because they are so boring once the foliage has died down, but again I top up the pots with compost.  Mine bloomed well this summer so I shall continue this regime.  I believe they are one ofthose plants which need a restricted rootrun - too much space and they only produce leaves - but my border one seem to be OK.

14/12/2013 at 10:30

Interesting post. I bought 2 bare roots this year, I got leaves and growth but no flowers and was disappointed with the size. These are in compost in an unheateffd greenhouse to over winter, what did I do wrong?? 

14/12/2013 at 10:52

Red dahlia.

You will have to wait a year or two...or three..for it to flower.  You did nothing wrong.  Just patience.  Don't over pot them or Molly coddle them

14/12/2013 at 11:02

Red - a few of mine have been bareroots - i got flowers from a couple in year 2, and all in year 3 - something to look forward to

14/12/2013 at 11:15

I echo Verdun's advice about not over-potting.  They flower quicker when restricted. 

Mine were grown from seed (Headbourne hybrids), were potted-on to slightly larger pots each year and flowered in year 3.  They lose all of their leaves in winter as do most other varieties.  Even 'evergreen' varieties will lose them in an extended spell of hard frost.  I must say I'm going to remove most of mine from the borders as the roots of Headbourne types become very thuggish (thick as a pencil and spread about 3 times are far underground as the visible parts on top.  There's a 'dead zone' around them all now which only the (even more thuggish) Montbretia will grow in.  I'll get some of the daintier varieties instead I think.

14/12/2013 at 11:28

thanks, I thought it was me trying too hard. They were only in about 1 litre pots and good compost, they were near my veg so may well have had the odd treat of tomato feed as my other half seemed to think everything would do better that way. I will keep everything crossed for this coming year then. Shall I leave in snall pots or bigger tubs or border???? They were 50p so I took a gamble. Yes yes yes I know I am cheap, all my posts are about being canny and making more or saving and I'm sorry!

14/12/2013 at 11:36

I'd keep them in the small pots - they flower better if they are pot bound

14/12/2013 at 11:48

Definitely do as chicky says, Red Dahlia.  Don't re-pot them until they are almost climbing out on their own!   Keeping them in pots/tubs also means you won't get them bullying other things in your borders!

14/12/2013 at 13:29

Hiya Bob

I had a large group of agapanthus that became "thuggish" too and removed them.  Nothing else could grow there and a large bare space in winter developed.  Best for me in poor ground or in pots 

If they are divided without too much interference I find they will often flower the following year or even in late summer if done in late winter or early spring.

14/12/2013 at 13:57

Lovely thanks

05/01/2014 at 18:55

Hi Bob, like you I have a several plants (Headbourne Hybrids) grown from seed two years ago. They are presently over-wintering on the window cill in my study - which incidentally is quite a cold room! However being South West facing the cill is quite exposed to sunlight and the pots do dry out from time to time. The leaves on two of the smaller plants have now mostly turned yellow and have been removed, the leaves on the larger plans are still green and are quite substantial - do you think I should move them to a darker room or should this have been done earlier in the autumn/winter?

05/01/2014 at 18:56
05/01/2014 at 19:21

Hi ruleyo, I would only keep them indoors when it is frosty as they are generally hardy.  In mild winters one of mine (now a mature plant) is evergreen and keeps its leaves over winter even in the border.  I think ones grown from seed have quite a variation in range as to how hardy each individual plant is.  Having said all of that, I don't think they'll come to harm indoors if in a cold room and the smaller ones might even appreciate it given the current wet weather!  Like most plants they don't like both cold and wet so always err on the side of keeping them drier rather than overwatering.

05/01/2014 at 21:10

Many thanks Bob, I'll start to harden them outside once the weather starts to warm up.

Ruleyo

06/01/2014 at 12:13

Hiya Bob! I've saved seed from my plants this year and wonder if you have any advice as to when and how to sow them?  With most things I sow in a plant pot of multi purpose compost and cover with fine grit then leave either in my unheated greenhouse or on the kitchen window sill.  Any advice?

06/01/2014 at 19:13

Hi GG, that's exactly what I do.  I do sow mine as soon as they are ripe so as you are a bit late I would recommend that you sow them now and keep half in the cold GH and half on the kitchen windowsill.  Dry agapanthus seeds don't last well so the sooner you sow them the better in my opinion.

1 to 20 of 24 messages