London (change)
Sat 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
11 messages
04/06/2013 at 08:05

I have a Alicante tomato plant growing in a pot on the windowsill. It has been growing healthily for 3 weeks or so & is about 2ft. high. Suddenly the stems on the plant have begun to curl downwards some of them so badly that they are touching the main stem. I have followed all instructions given on this web site.  Any ideas why?????

04/06/2013 at 09:53

Sometimes they do that. I find those plants which are located by sources of draught i.e greenhouse doors, suffer the most. Never had a plant die of this but will grow slightly less rigorous than the others.

04/06/2013 at 12:25

It is wilting because I guess you have it on a sunny windowsill with the sun roasting it?

Too hot and too dry and atmosphere move to a shadier spot

04/06/2013 at 15:28

lazy gardener - Sorry no. In subdued light & has been well watered

04/06/2013 at 17:50

Perhaps too well watered-plants suffer from over watering as well -they wilt

Check the root ball is it sodden?

04/06/2013 at 19:50

Billyc - have you, opened a window open nearby ?

05/06/2013 at 07:33

lazy gardener - You may have a point I think maybe I have overwatered. Should I leave to dry out?

marshmellow - Plant in close proximity to outside door obviously opening & closing. Should I move plant?

05/06/2013 at 08:25

I must admit I don't over-water tomato plants. You can if you like, but in "greenhouse situation " 2 plants must be postioned by an open door. I just live with the curl - they still produce fruit.

05/06/2013 at 09:23

I would let it dry out-do not keep constantly moist-not required

07/06/2014 at 00:02
Not sure how this site works (don't know how to start my own convo) but wondering if someone could help my Alicante tomato plant was doing really well just starting to get flowers opening but the bottom leaves have developed brown spots on them slowly Turing the whole leaf brown??
07/06/2014 at 07:25

Hi Abiriley 

At the top of the page you'll find a button 'Start new thread' or somesuch - that should do the trick.

But in the meantime I'd remove those brown leaves and burn, just to be on the safe side.  Brown spots on the leaves can be caused by water getting on them, so try to just water the soil.

Is your tomato plant in a greenhouse or outside - tell us more about it.  You can post a picture by clicking on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post and following the instructions.  Afraid it doesn't work on phones .... yet.

If it doesn't work let us know. 

email image
11 messages