Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

All right .... own up .... which ones of you do this?

"A fifth of British gardeners have thrown snails over their neighbour's fence, according to a survey.

Some 22% of people questioned for the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) said they had tossed a snail into their neighbour's garden, compared with 78% who said they had not.

Londoners were the worst culprits, with 30% admitting they had done it.

Gardeners in Scotland were least likely, where 14% admitted they had thrown a snail over a garden fence................."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27078782 

Are you guilty? image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

More slugs than snails here but I toss them in the pond or in the road depending on which is nearer.

We have arable crops behind and to one side and pasture to the other side so they'd just come straight back to my juicy treasures if I lobbed them over the fence.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Lol!! I do Dove. In  fact the other day whilst digging over a corner, there were 5 or 6 snails, all of which went flying over to next door!! imageimage

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I was outside listening to the radio when they had it on the news - made me laugh! image

I have to admit it - yes - but they go out on the road not my neighbour's garden!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Hmmm.........it has been known, especially after having a go at my little man the other day image A few beetles may also have found their way over the fence, don't know if they were Lily beetles but they had a flying lesson anyway imageimage

LOL!!  

I have just been listening to the allotment man on R2 and he said you shouldn't do it as they have a homing instinct and will find their way back, apparently you should take then at least a mile away.......now who do I know that lives about a mile away (ref Forkers thread conversation this week image)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Think they may have got a taste for air travel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hdt-zs4EvE 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Bonkers LOL image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

The RHS did tests - painted marks on shells and then waited to see if any came back.  They all head home, admittedly at snail's pace, but they like home best.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LavandeLavande Posts: 171

No never - that's naughty.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Over the back fence - well it isn't a home. Done some this morning