Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

allium purple sensation and irises taking over my small garden

i planted a few allium purple sensation bulbs a few years ago and they have almost taken over the garden. i think all the seed heads are coming off as soon as they are finished this year. how do i get rid of the unwanted seedlings ?. my irises are also expanding like they are on speed. i put them in last year and only one flowered, but now there are several off-shoots. my garden looks like an overgrown lawn full of bulblets.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

Lucky you! Many of us would love to have that problem. Not letting them set seed will reduce the problem in future and it should be easy to pull up seedlings but how about potting some up and giving to friends etc.? Your irises sound like they are doing just fine too. You could lift and divide them in a year or so, search the site for a "how to" on that.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi franco. As you say, take the seed heads off for future prevention and just dig up what you don't want.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • franco6832franco6832 Posts: 105

thanks for yr replies. i will work on it.

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

Even if you deadhead to stop seedlings, they multiply by bulblets. Mine are out of control - should have dealt with them last year - after flowering I will pull lots of them up. They seem to come up easily. 

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I'm like Verdun - I have to top up my alliums each year to keep the display going - but I am on quite heavy soil.  I think they like it better drained.  But agree it is worth keep adding to them as I love the way they look - makes my borders look like a Chelsea show garden for three weeks of the year.  Now it is only the other 49 I need to tackle !!

• HocHoc Posts: 8
    I have masses of allium christophii seedlings in my gravel garden. How long will it take them to start flowering and should I be doing anything with them, ie thin them out?