London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
8 messages
07/08/2013 at 19:42

I have an Amelanchier tree (snowflake) which has never been very happy.  I garden on heavy clay.  The base of the tree now has orange spots around it.  Shall I give it another year or are the spots the beginning of the end of it.  It starts flowering quite well but as the year progresses the leaves drop off, now only a few remain. Thank you for any advice.

07/08/2013 at 19:49

google 'coral spot' and look at the images Allison. If it's that it's not good news.

07/08/2013 at 20:15

Thankyou nutcutlet, have googled coral spot and yes, sure that is what it is.  As the infection is at the bottom of the trunk going up, I guess I'll have to remove the tree. 

07/08/2013 at 20:24

sorry Allison, I think you're right.

It usually moves into damaged or dead wood, rarely into a healthy tree. I should think it was a result of your sick/ dying tree rather than the cause.

07/08/2013 at 21:16

Thank you Nutcutlet, I shall tackle it tomorrow with a heavy heart!!

07/08/2013 at 23:57

Does not help you now, but Amelanchier do fine in my clay soil. I just break up the area around it mix in soil and bark (to keep the soil around the roots light) and it has been growing away.

08/08/2013 at 07:48

Allison I also garden on clay and have had Amelanchier in several gardens.  I do the same as blairs. If you improve the soil with plenty of grit and compost they do well in it. Perhaps you could pick the best spot  and sort the ground a little  -maybe create a raised bed - and then get a nice new one. They're a lovely adddition to any garden. 

08/08/2013 at 12:55

Thank you all.  When I dig this one out I will see what the soil conditions are like.  I have a sneaky feeling that I may find it water logged. My borders are raised as the clay here is so heavy, you need a pickaxe to try and break it up and this poor tree was planted in the lawn.

email image
8 messages