London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
7 messages
28/05/2014 at 22:00

Hello 

I have a small problem with cats and foxes invading my garden and getting into my raised beds. Does anyone know of a tried and tested method to keep them out of the garden. I am looking at sonic repellents but getting mixed reviews. 

Any help?

Thanks

28/05/2014 at 22:18

Hello willo. I know that small children can find sonic repellents uncomfortable. Sorry I can't be of more positive use!

28/05/2014 at 22:56

Depending on the size of your raised bed, could you cover with netting? I use 1" drainage pipe to make hoops and then drape safety netting over and secure with pegs.

28/05/2014 at 23:36

I use a conitech Water scarecrow - 100% successful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=7jHYV6nJksw

Don't go for cheap imitations - all the reviews on amazon will tell you they are nothing compared to the real thing.

29/05/2014 at 11:18

I have been told that urinating where the foxes/cats go is an effective deterrent. It needs to be male urine though as higher levels of testosterone. I cannot say if it works myself as don't have foxes and only one cat ( who looks elderly and very motheaten )

29/05/2014 at 11:53

mothballs are a good deterrent - most animals can't bear the smell of camphor.
It's impractical to use them on the garden as they would dissolve and kill plants, but you could put a mothball in a bit of net (or old stocking) and hang a few around the outside of your raised bed.

Some years ago I had cats leaving their stuff on my gravel driveway - the mothballs worked a treat.

29/05/2014 at 12:25

A water scarecrow is effective, safe and repels the unwanted visitors without harming them and doesn't leave unpleasant smells around the garden.  You just need to remember to move the sensors regularly so they don't learn to avoid the trigger points and make sure it doesn't get your postman.

email image
7 messages