Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ant Infestations

Can anyone offer a solution please....

We are completely over-run with ant nests both in the lawn and around the espeliars. Can anyone offer any help we have tried the Nemasys and standard off the counter deterrents to no avail, they just seem to move location.... We have both red and black ants nesting just feet apart is this normal? When treating with Nemasys we located 60 nests in the lawn alone and with the warmer weather hopefully on the horizon it would be great to allow the grand kids on the lawn....

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

There is an solution that I have posted before but got told off for cruelty to antsimage-but the boiling water trick kills them instantly if not nicely

• I know what yo mean. They seem to get everywhere. I have got a lemon tree in a pot and it is infested with black ants. I dont want to kill them so I have just left it. I did move it out of the greenhouse though.

Will this infestation actually kill my lemon tree in the end?

Over the counter stuff doesnt work!

• Thanks looks like this could be the only route left to take image 

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Hi Andrew, I think the ants on your lemon tree will be after aphids as they like the honey dew the aphids produce.

My daughter told me that a mixture of icing sugar and bicarbonate of soda kills ants as they take back to their nests.

• Hi Pam does the icing sugar and bicarbonate have to be mixed into a paste first or do you mix them both dry?

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Hi Annie I mixed them dry in my conservatory and it seemed to work but outside you'd have to put it into some sort of container that the ants could get in but at the same time keeping the mixture from getting wet or washed away.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Many thanks Pam, will give it a try. image

Chris yes have really kept the lawn damp either by natural rain or hose but they have some ant power for sure... image

Hollie its the red ants that are the problem with the kids, especially as they are still crawling

• The user and all related content has been deleted.