London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
13 messages
12/08/2012 at 14:33

I have many colonies of red + flying Ants in my small lawn...it is driving me mad!

How do I get rid of them please?

I have sandy soil & my lawn is treated regularly by a well known Lawn treatment company!

I have tried 'Nipon' of all types, but to date, no joy!

12/08/2012 at 14:40

Hi Rose Ann, There seem to be a lot of ants this year.  I don't have any lawn only gravel, but the  pavers and drive seem to have plenty of ants on them.  Several plants such as shasta daisies are crawling in them.  After dead-heading I find I have to brush them off my hands.  Like you I'ved tried Nipon which usually works, but this year must be ideal for ants with there being so many.

12/08/2012 at 18:28

There is an chemical free product called Nemasys No Ants, to use on lawns. It does not kill the ants but irritates them so they move on somewhere else. I have not tried this product but maybe someone else on the forum has, and can advise how it worked for them.

12/08/2012 at 19:45

Thanks everyone! looks as if I'm not the only one that has this trouble with Ants; I've just rolled up my hose pipe after watering the garden; the hose was covered in the horrible things & I feel 'itchy' all over!

We've heard of 'Mircle Grow'; what we want now is a 'Mircle Ant Remover'!!!

12/08/2012 at 20:01

i too have suffered with loads of ants this year.. i thought with all the rain they woul dahve washed away.. not so lucky.. they are everywhere on the lawn.. i am going to get some of theose nemotodes that kill the queens off.. even the red ones.. which seem to like lawns more than any where else.

12/08/2012 at 20:12
Hiya Jeffd yes I have used NEMASYS for ants in lawns. As I understand it, it DOES kill ants. They are nematodes that attack ants.
Lavendarlass, ants on plants are usually there because aphids are present too, ants harvest aphids. Spray or rub off aphids and your ants should disappear. Ants seem persistent near my front door and I put down ant killer several times but I find the hosepipe to be the best solution. It seems to affect the ants for a few days but then come back again, so I use hose again. I think this must be the worst season for ants
13/08/2012 at 08:26

i have just looked up about the nematodes for ants to double check what i thought.. and yes it kills the queen off.. so wil be getting some

13/08/2012 at 19:17

Thanks Christopher2, didn't realise ants ate aphids, so they are not entirely bad, just a nuisance in large numbers.

13/08/2012 at 19:22
lavenderlass wrote (see)

Thanks Christopher2, didn't realise ants ate aphids, so they are not entirely bad, just a nuisance in large numbers.

A bit of confusion I'm afraid-ants don't eat aphids they feed on the sweet excretions that the aphids produce-so if you see ants climbing up plants in numbers it is a clue that aphids are present.

Hence the farming analogy

13/08/2012 at 19:45

It's a marriage of convenience.

Aphids secrete honeydew in order to encourage ants. They benefit from their presence due to their ability to drive away predators such as Ladybirds with squirts of formic acid.

13/08/2012 at 19:55

I have seen blackbirds eat ants in the lawn, and wonder if ant treatments do them any harm

14/08/2012 at 09:17

Yes Lynredshaw; I too worry about that, having watched a Robin yesterday hopping around the lawn. 

A new member to the site; as with most gardeners, all very friendly people!

14/08/2012 at 10:21
lynredshaw wrote (see)

I have seen blackbirds eat ants in the lawn, and wonder if ant treatments do them any harm

Rose Ann wrote (see)

Yes Lynredshaw; I too worry about that, having watched a Robin yesterday hopping around the lawn. 

A new member to the site; as with most gardeners, all very friendly people!

mmm-good questions-my feeling is that a bird is going to have to find a poisioned ant-then eat hundreds- if not more-  to feel any ill effect- if at all -so I wouldn't worry.

email image
13 messages