London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
21 to 24 of 24 messages
30/06/2013 at 21:30

I have 13 nests in a 40 by 80 feet lawn and as much as I llike ants it is impossible to let my rabbits graze. Yesterday I found the rabbits flying around their enclosure, not exercising, trying to rid themselves of the black ants crawling all over them! They had to be washed and put back in their hutch which is now on legs and surrounded by washing up liquid as the ants hate this and won't travel over it. It has become impossible to sit in the garden. within minutes the little demons are all over our legs. I agree with leaving nature alone as much as possible but our garden has become off limits to us and our pets and I need a solution that will do as little harm as possible to rabbits, dogs and if possible even the ants.

30/06/2013 at 22:09

Hi Sheila,  I agree with Verdun that the best solution is nematodes which are a natural method.  The nematodes in question are called Steinernema feltiae which occasionally naturally infect and kill ant nests.  Most of the alternative solutions involve poisons which are taken up by the ants (and hence whatever happens to eat the ants, such as some birds) and the small amount of poison may build-up in these larger animals over time and cause unexpected and more serious problems, perhaps similar to what we may be seeing in bees.

The best known ant nematode producer is Nemasys which sells a product called "Nemasys No Ants".  You just water them onto an already damp lawn.

30/06/2013 at 22:19

I have quite large lawns and a few ants nests... which means I get visits from green woodpeckers. I shall leave things as they are.

30/06/2013 at 22:30

same here they've got babies in one of our willow trees and they need food

email image
21 to 24 of 24 messages