London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
08/07/2012 at 22:16

Does anyone have a lawn covered with mounds of soft earth brought up by ants ?  It looks a real muddy mess when it's been mowed. 

08/07/2012 at 22:50
I have three ants nests in my lawn and a red ants nest right on the edge of the border with the grass. I also have a nest under my snow-on-the-mountain which I am going to destroy this week I hope. I agree its a right mess when mowed
DWB
08/07/2012 at 23:21

I must admit I tend to use boiling water to remove the nests as it doesn't harm the grass and gets rid of the problem.

09/07/2012 at 21:44

I had two nests on the lawn and my husband decided boiling water was the answer.  No ants now but the boiling water has left two big bald patches in an otherwise sea of green lawn!  Men!

09/07/2012 at 22:26

I've had nests in my greenhouse, shed and even in my flower borders 

But I have to say, Nippon Gel works every time. It's only a couple of quid and a small blob near to ant activity and they pounce on it immediately and take it back to the nest. Dead ants within 48 hours without fail. 

09/07/2012 at 22:48
Will buy the Nippon Gel tomorrow and give it a go, thanks Sloth. Have used boiling water in the past , but like you Busyliz, it left patches in the lawn.
09/07/2012 at 23:24

We had a massive ants nest in the kitchen, hundreds of them running all over the surfaces and floor. We put four blobs around the kitchen and turned off the lights. Within an hour the blobs are surrounded by a perfect circle of ants munching away. It is wonderful stuff. Don't get the Nippon ant traps though, they're rubbish, get the gel in a tube. If it's raining (and let's be honest it probably will be) make sure you cover it to stop it washing away. Good luck.

09/07/2012 at 23:43

Thanks for the info folks.  I didn't know there was a Nippon gel - have used the powder but I don't think it works very well on wet ground.  Probably be a good idea to cover each ant mound with a bucket after blobbing on the gel !   Must buy some.

10/07/2012 at 18:43
Too busy today to buy the gel but will definatly get some real soon. Yuk, all those ants in the kitchen running wild, shudder shudder !!
16/07/2012 at 12:11

Perhaps you should all study these amazing little creatures rather than shuddering and killing them.  Those mounds are created by the ants moving each and every grain of soil individually. They work together and in total peace - they do not fight or obstruct each other, just work tirelessly to get the job done. When an ant finds food it returns to the nest to tell the rest of the colony where to go and after eating they clean themselves and each other scrupulously. Granted, ants in the kitchen is not a great situation but if you remove their source of food by using containers etc they will move on as they are only taking advantage of easy meals. Please think hard before killing entire colonies of these, and other, tiny creatures. They all have a role to play.

16/07/2012 at 23:39
I only shudder to think of that amount of ants running around in a kitchen. I have had a few ants in mine (no food left around ) and I dont like it. I like to think I am quite good when it comes to the wildlife in my garden but sometimes things have to be moved on. My grandchildren play on the lawn a lot, weather permitting, and the last thing I want is for them to be covered in ants from all the nests. There is always some around I know but I dont want the little ones sitting on a nest.
22/07/2012 at 21:32
Have you tried using nematodes for ants in the lawn? They work very well, are safe, do not damage the lawn and you are avoiding harsh chemicals
23/07/2012 at 06:46
Elizabeth4 wrote (see)

Perhaps you should study these amazing little creatures ....

Ants are one of the most important creatures in many ecosystems. In some parts of the world, ant colonies are the main means by which nitrogen is fixed, and made available to other animals and plants. In Britain, some butterflies have symbotic relationships with ants. The butterflies need the ants to tend their lavae...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/ants.jpg

23/07/2012 at 10:25
For the lawn I use Antstop! granules by Home Defence (comes in red canister with a picture of an ant on the front and a black lid). It works well. I had three different ant nests on my lawn and they were gone within a week. Being granules, no dust to breath in. You can also mix with water and drench the ant nest. Safe for pets and children once application has dried.

I also use the Antstop Bait Station (I bit like the Nippon Ant Trap), and find them a lot less messy, and safer than Nippon, as you only have to break off little black tabs, and place in vicinity of ant run. I use the Antstop! Bait Station on my paths.

I dont work for Antstation! Just their products works well.

I appreciate that some people may find the little creatures fascinating, but not in the middle of my lawn. And actually, given that there is now an ant super colony covering most of the globe, I don't think the planet will miss the odd thousand critters that used to invade my lawn!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8127000/8127519.stm
24/07/2012 at 11:07

Sounds great stuff Tim.   When the Anstop is mixed with water, would you know if it's safe to literally water plants with it ?   I've had a number of plants that have been mounded up with soil by ants in the roots.  They can eventually kill or severely affect the plant.

24/07/2012 at 14:43
Doesnt say it can't be used on or around plant, but if its ok to use directly on lawn then should be ok. Only caution is that it says to rinse out watering can and empty rinsings on the treated area. Also says (like most other insecticides) tp ensure its not used near watercourses. Its also not good for bees. If you plan to use on or plant avoid the flowers and perhaps do it in the evening when bees have gone to bed.
24/07/2012 at 23:49
I Agree ants are part of our system ...we should not kill anything for the sake of it but we do need to control ants, slugs, aphids etc or we would be overrun. I have a friend who will kill nothing. She spends a fortune on her garden but rabbits slugs and snails....and yes ants in her lawn.....are ruining it all for her. I think nematodes are effective in controlling ants in lawns. They are already in the soil and too are part of our system
25/07/2012 at 07:42
The other thing to remember is that its not now a natural system. So much of our landscape, including our gardens, is man made, and all these infestations are a result of nature taking advantage of what we have created as ideal habitat for them. If however, the environment reverted back to how it was, these surpluses in nature would not exist and everything would be in balance with natural controls and checks.
25/07/2012 at 08:07

i also have the dreaded ant piles in my lawn, and have tried the boiling water treatment ,only to have unsightly marks on the grass, i find now that by slicing into the mound and sprinkling powder does the trick.

25/07/2012 at 11:18

Thanks for all the input folks.  Think I'll try the Anstop on a border plant next.  If anyone has trouble with ants in tomato pots in the greenhouse, I think I've solved the problem there by standing the pots on plantpot saucers - so they can't burrow up into the bottom of the pot.  It also enables you to see when you've given them enough water.

1 to 20 of 33 messages