London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
11 messages
17/05/2014 at 14:39

Hi guys,

I seem to be invaded by swarms of ants this year. They are in my lawn, my plant pots and they've started to come into the house. Is anybody else having problems this year and what can I do?

My lawn is starting to look messy with piles of sand everywhere and is it a real problem in my pots or should I not worry?

Cheers

Jo

18/05/2014 at 06:43

We're getting some too, especially in the lawn.  I'm going over with a lawn rake to keep the heaps down so that when we mow we don't get bare patches.  If you do that the day before you mow and pour a good bucket of water into the ant heap when you've taken the top off they'll move on - but they'll reappear elsewhere - I think it's just one of those years.

We've also got them in the compost heaps, but the regular stirring up and aeration seems to deter them.

Where you really don't want them is building nests under your plants and in your pots - if keeping the soil/compost moist won't send them packing  you can treat the garden with nematodes which are very effective 

https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/9-nemasys-no-ants 

Good luck 

18/05/2014 at 06:52

I've had quite a lot here too which I think is unusual. There's a paved area laid on sand in my back garden and that's a perfect place for them, but they're in the house as well so it's a running battle just now! 

18/05/2014 at 06:59

We were inundated a couple of years ago and tried a number of deterrents. We were advised to try the bait boxes and they worked a treat.

These little round tubs are filled with food laced with insecticide which the ants take back to the nest.

Would highly recommend!

18/05/2014 at 07:03

Thank you everyone. The battle is on.

18/05/2014 at 13:04

We are inundated with them too, and I'm quite allergic to their bites, come up in hives that itch for days, and then they swell underneath... sigh. I've had to ignore the garden for a few days it's so bad. I'm off into town today and hopefully will find some of those bait boxes. I don't much like the idea of killing them though...

18/05/2014 at 14:24

I would recommend the Baitstation brand or similar.  For me it's worth it as I hate ants even more than slugs and snails.  And that's a lot.  I find Baitstation really works.

works.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71Lb8WIzmFL._SL1500_.jpg

18/05/2014 at 15:20

I too have a problem with ants in the house, i`v put down traps thay seem tobe working but i keep seeing one or two.

18/05/2014 at 17:12

That's the ones!

18/05/2014 at 20:40

Family member had terrible problem with them all around the outside of the house last year.  She was told to pour a trail of washing powder and they wouldn't cross it.  They disappeared completely.  No ants this year so far.

20/05/2014 at 21:15

there is an old way to get rid that work great,get some borax from the chemist and mix it 50/50 with sugar and put it near the the nests,they take the sugar and the borax into the nest where it turns into a gas that kills everything in the nest

email image
11 messages