London (change)
Today 14°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
6 messages
28/06/2012 at 17:15

WENT TO USE MY COMPOST TO FILL MY CONTAINERS AND FOUND AN ANTS NEST IN IT.  WHAT CAN I DO.  I HAVE SMOOTHERED THE COMPOST WITH ANT POWDER BUT WHAT ELSE CAN I DO..   IS IT SAFE TO USE FOR MY CONTAINERS.   MAUREEN

28/06/2012 at 17:20

It is safe if you have wiped them out-are you talking about a bag of potting compost or a garden compost bin?

Ants love a dry compost bin -if it is wet they go elsewhere

29/06/2012 at 13:50

I too have recently suffered from an ants nest in one of my Dalek composting bins, where I had put some grass divots to compost down. I didn't use powder, but tried to remove as much as possible, and place the divots in compost bags for storage outside the bins. I would be keen to know if sotongeoff thinks I should remove the lid of the bin concerned, to allow the elements to penetrate the contents, thus putting off any ants still inside. I am currently filling  my other Dalek bin for composting. I have not noticed ants in this one, as I guess it is too wet inside. I am not planning to restart using the one that had the ants nest inside, until my other is full. I would also be keen to know if I am likely to have a problem with the the bags I have filled, when the contents have composted sufficiently.

29/06/2012 at 13:59

We have a dreadful ant problem here, the soil is sandy and ants and their nests are just a fact of life. For the most part, we have to ignore them, unless they are invading the roots of something. We have 10 compost bins, and many of those get nests. Again, we leave then be, they swarm eventually, and a side 'benefit' is they do make the compost nice and fine! I do leave the lids off too, sometimes, and let the birds pick them off.

29/06/2012 at 14:52
Tina5 wrote (see)

We have a dreadful ant problem here, the soil is sandy and ants and their nests are just a fact of life. For the most part, we have to ignore them, unless they are invading the roots of something. We have 10 compost bins, and many of those get nests. Again, we leave then be, they swarm eventually, and a side 'benefit' is they do make the compost nice and fine! I do leave the lids off too, sometimes, and let the birds pick them off.

Hello Again Tina,

I have just had check on my 2 composting bins, and as previously stated, the one I am currently filling has no sign of ants, as it is too moist & yukky inside. The other has a thinnish layer of soil/compost, with some damp shredded paper inside, and does not appear to have any ants inside. There are however, other species, going about their business.  My other bin is probably a few weeks away from being full, enabling me to start on the 2nd one proper. One thing I have noticed about the Ants, is that I have 4 raised beds, all covered with Enviromesh fine netting, One has a row of Peas & Broad Beans inside. Whenever I go inside to add further support to the stems, I always disturb ants inside the Beans, never the Peas. The Beans are not swarming with them, neither are they being eaten, but it is annoying.

29/06/2012 at 16:12

If you can keep the compost moister that'll help. I wouldnt want to use the compost on/for food crops after using an ant killer/poison, but for ornamentals it shouldnt be a problem.

So far this year my bins ok- but could be famous last words. J.

email image
6 messages