Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ants

Any suggestions to rid ants from the lawn and garden?

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318

Not a single one! In my experience you just have to keep annoying them enough to encourage them to emigrate to another place. Dig up their nests, boiling water, noisy lawn mower etc. and even then they often just relocate in your patch. I just live with them, and they are slightly useful when you garden on a heavy clay soil as they loosen it up quite a bit.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Nematodes are effective if you just want them to move from a particular location (I've used them to get rid of nests in the lawn) but I don't think it would be possible to eliminate them from a garden entirely.

• MrMahoniaMrMahonia Posts: 82

i agree with singing gardener, nematodes can work really well. other then that u will have to destroy the nests but this can sometimes just make them build new ones elsewhere so you have to keep on top of it!

• Full time occupation.

Tip.

To keep them from fruit trees

B&Q decorators masking tape doubled over,sticky side out,works a treat.

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

Hi all

they don't iike disruption and movement a bit like rats

pour boiling water over ants and affected area or use ant powder spray this has always worked for me and they move off to an area of the garden they actually help with.

not the rats though make sure you are noisy and move things around as they don't like change

happy gardening