Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Any idea what's happening to my hebe?

Here is a hebe from my garden, and basically it's dying at the front it seems.  The back of the plant is fine and is currently in flower (tricky to see in the shade, sorry).  I've cut away several dead branches, but now the next set are dying.  It's on an east facing wall in slightly alkaline, quite dry soil.

Any ideas gratefully received!

• lindsay2610lindsay2610 Posts: 100

PS I think it's a hebe diosmofolia...

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I really can't see this pic Lindsay. If a plant is dead on one side is often wind/frost damage, chemical or animal pee

In the sticks near Peterborough

Thanks nutcutlet, I'm finding it impossible to get a good photo image.  I don't use chemicals, so I'm guessing it's some frost damage.  I'll cut it out and see what happens!

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

As it's in an East facing border, then frost is probably the culprit.

I'd cut back the affected stems pretty hard to good wood. A bit of tlc ie some plant food & water, if it's dry, & it should reshoot from lower down. J.

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

My hebe looked similar,I cut off several pieces but it spread and eventually I lost it,there is nothing to loose by cutting out the dead branches,it may work for you.I put it down to the frost.

Best of luck.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd tend to agree with the other comments lindsay - some varieties struggle in severe cold although  heavy wet ground is usually more of a problem than dry cold and the variegated and bigger ones tend to be the most 'delicate'. They do better in a south or south west location so have you thought of moving it? Might be worth trying later on if you have a suitable space, but cut it back first and try and revive it. Good luck with it- they're really useful shrubs.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Thanks all, I do love hebes, although I can't exactly explain why.  I will try moving it Fairygirl, unfortunately almost all my border is east facing, so south facing space is at a premium. 

Thanks or the advice!