Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone for Coffee

I have been offered an unlimited supply of used Coffee Grinds from our local High st cafe. I am sure I read somewhere that I can use such a windfall to my advatage. But I do not recall for what ??

Any idea's

• It can be sprinkled around plants to keep the slugs at bay, there is something else but i cant remember sorry! image
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Mix it into your compost heap

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

It doesnt keep slugs off here, mix it in your compost heap. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• It does smell nice tho, it wafts through the garden image
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933

I put ours in the compost heap  ,didn't know about the slug thingy but I will try it

.no good giving it to verdun he won't be using it

not if he is still on his collecting sluggers scheme!

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I;ve heard they can be used to fertilize the lawn but I tried in small patches and it created a horrible ammonia-y smell as they broke down.  Not like coffee at all.   More like stairwells in a big city car park.  I go for compost heap.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Yes definitely for the compost; some branches of Starbucks will give you used coffee grounds too.image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

If applied thickly enough the caffeinated grounds are supposed to deter slugs who don't like caffeine but I just add ours to the compost heap with all the other green kitchen waste.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • I used it on the veg patch, cant remember what on, i only did it because there was a starbucks at work and i didnt want it wasted, smelled lovely, dunno if it did anything! image
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I have used it as a cat poo deterrent - works quite well image