Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Aphids

Just found my new (planted bare root over winter) roses covered in aphids.  They've been doing really well so keen to get rid.  What do you recommend? I'd prefer to just encourage ladybirds but infestation looks too big.  Is there chemicals that are less damaging to ladybirds? Im thinking if kill ladybirds too, I'll have a longer term problem.  How well does the soapy stuff work? Could it keep aphids at bay until so can find some ladybirds? Grateful for views....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

If we get an early infestation I sort of run my fingers and thumbs up the shoots dislodging most of the aphids, and sometimes I'll give them a squirt with some Ecover washing up liquid diluted with water (about double the strength used for washing up).

After that I leave them to the bluetits which nest in the garden and the ladybirds. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Oooh, there's lots of blue tits here. will do as you say. ta dove.

SNoodle, if you've got lots of bluetits about I'd just do the finger and thumb thing and forget about the spray - the tits are nesting and will soon be searching for aphids image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I do the same as Dove. If there's a few you can rub them off - bit tricky when it's jaggy roses though! I have a Canna in the kitchen just now and it was covered - wiped off the first lot but their friend and families turned up so it was  a quick drenching with Fairy Liquid and they're all gone now. Getting the birds into your plants by hanging some feeders and fat balls nearby is the best way - I couldn't really do that in the kitchen though...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Morning, Verdun.

yes, keen to do without chemicals.  There's enough wildlife here tlook things should be able to look after themselves - keen to keep the balance.

Think too many to squash. But that maybe because I am quite squeamish....

Cheers, guys.  Like fairy's feeder idea. the blue tits fly back and fore to the crab apple tree next to the rose bed.  So should be easy to get them to stop by for a snack.

Just squidged some on a rose bush but one of the blue tits was sitting in the ash tree shouting at me! image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Dove - that was his breakfast!  imageimage

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...