Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Are these cabbage worm eggs

Does any one know what these are...there are loads of them under the camelia leaves .......each year there is an infestaion of cabbage worm in the garden i care for (i think they are cabbage worm..longish green type  caterpillars)...are these the eggs.....????

they are even under the eleagnus leaves.....i sprayed with detergent and water hoping it would lodge them off but nothing happened...if they are cabbage worm i want to nip them in the bud before they can do much damage......in fact whatever they are i am sure they need dealing with....any ideas?????

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

What are cabbage worms?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Flower birdFlower bird Posts: 284

I will need to be very patient..i think there could be well over a hundred of them...hehehe

• Flower birdFlower bird Posts: 284

They grow into those white butterflies nutcutlet....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I'd rather find out what something is before I go around killing things indiscriminately.  

If you read this thread http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-andamp-veg/red-currant--spikey-caterpillars/98011.html  you'll get what I'm on about. image

Let's try to identify them - anyone got any ideas? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Flowerbird- I've never heard of cabbage worms either - do you mean cabbage butterfly caterpillars?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Well i just googled cabbage worm and they're cabbage white butterfly larvae

caterpillars to you and me.

Those aren't cabbage white eggs, they're small and yellow, like these 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Sorry - your post wasn't there when I asked. The small cabbage white has green caterpillars. The big one has hairy caterpillars I think image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Hi Fairyimage

Over a hundred doesn't sound too much of an infestation. They will have been laid there to eat the leaves. I'd have towait and see what they turn into.  image

Having checked the RHS page on Camellia problems, I think these are the eggs of the cushion scale insect. 

If you click on the 5th picture along on this page http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=771 you'll see what I mean.