London (change)
Today 18°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
21 to 35 of 35 messages
06/06/2014 at 17:23

I purchased one from a bargain corner at the end of the season from the local garden centre. Its produced some leaves but no flowers yet. I have put it in a pot. Sounds like from what everyone is saying it will be fine in the garden as long as its protected. 

06/06/2014 at 18:08

And given moisture Allium.  I have grown this in a pond. ,

20/06/2014 at 11:19

At last I have flowers!

21/06/2014 at 00:43

My experience is that it will not flower unless it has summer moisture and will grow well in shade but no flowers. I find it easier to give it these conditions (and to put it under cover during winter) if it is grown in a large pot stood permanently in a drip tray of water on a sunny patio throughout the summer....if grown in a pot food is also a requirement.

30/06/2014 at 11:20

I have two large pots of Lily's and do nothing to them them had about 3 years and always flower, and only water when they are in flower, I live in Warrington Area near to Bents Garden Centre !

27/07/2014 at 10:40

Hi,can all you fellow arum lillie lovers tell me how long before a young plant grows to a mature plant.. Thanks

02/10/2014 at 11:22

i have two of these a white one and a yellow one they are in the stone driveway in their pots still.both throw leaves up but then they die back to nothing again .the white one sent a flower then which proceded to rot away .everyone else says they are easy to grow but mine wont  

02/10/2014 at 13:44

How big are he pots and how much water do they get?

These  grow in water,  they need plenty to drink

17/10/2014 at 17:22

I planted up some arum lily bulbs this year and have grown them in a pot, next to a south-facing wall beside some tomato plants in pots. I watered and fed the arums when watering and feeding my tomatoes. I now have luscious, large leaves, but no sign of flowers. I have no greenhouse, so will have to find a space in the house to overwinter when the frosts come. Do you think I have any hope of flowers next spring?!

02/07/2015 at 08:19

I have Arum lilies all around my garden, some are on a drip system from a rain water tank. I find new plants take a couple of years to flower, they start with smaller blooms & then reach flowers larger than my hand. I dead head by pulling the whole stem from the root before they go to seed that way the plant will grow more flowers trying to seed. This year 2015 I had possible 50 heads on older plants & was pulling up to 20 wilting heads each day for the last 6 weeks. I still have flowers but it's slowing down. I cut back to above the ground as the leaves drop. In bad frost if the leaves rot, again I remove the mush to ground level. I live in Surrey.

02/07/2015 at 09:40

Lily lover you are spot on.  I think deadheading is an under valued process.  Removing flower stems asap before they go over is the secret to long flowering.

07/07/2015 at 20:09

The Goldfishman.   

I have 2 Arum lily plants in my fishpond, have been in there over 10yrs, and always in 18-24" of water, Winter and Summer. I always leave the Summers growth on through the Winter to protect the top from frosts etc.. I cut the lillies from May onwards. 2013 I had 147 blooms, 2014 had 257, and this year so far have cut 302 blooms..

30/08/2015 at 16:53

A friend gave me an arum lily about 15 years ago. I planted it in the border and all it did for three years was throw up a few leaves. Eventually it disappeared altogether. Several years later, we built a shed with a concrete floor over the spot where the lily had been. Suddenly, the next year, a wonderfully healthy lily appeared from under the side of the shed. Ever since we have had a magnificent show of flowers each year. I do my best to water it in hot weather - as close to the roots as the shed will allow - but otherwise it gets no care at all. It continues to get better every year.

25/09/2015 at 11:10

Hello Christine - better late than never. I live in Cheshire and in 2024 had not flowers on my Arum Lilies (which I adore) . I was advised by Bents the fabulous Garden Centre were I bought it - I was possibly over-feeding.  Earlier this year 2015 - I  bought some Blood Fish and Bone ( be careful with animals) and tis June I had magnificent flowers. Good Luck

25/09/2015 at 18:53

Happy to report 2015 has been a wonderful year for my arum lilies. Nearly all the plants have flowered well. Following advice given on here I haven't over tended them, just the occasional watering and a couple of seaweed feeds early in the season. At their peak I think I had in excess of 90 flowers. (not quite up to goldfishman  level but plants are much younger!) The largest plant has sent 4 new very large flowers up this week, I intend to cut them tomorrow to bring inside in a vase.

email image
21 to 35 of 35 messages