Start a new thread

21 to 35 of 35 replies

I purchased one from a bargain corner at the end of the season from the local garden centre. Its produced some leaves but no flowers yet. I have put it in a pot. Sounds like from what everyone is saying it will be fine in the garden as long as its protected. 

And given moisture Allium.  I have grown this in a pond. ,

My experience is that it will not flower unless it has summer moisture and sun....it will grow well in shade but no flowers. I find it easier to give it these conditions (and to put it under cover during winter) if it is grown in a large pot stood permanently in a drip tray of water on a sunny patio throughout the summer....if grown in a pot food is also a requirement.

I have two large pots of Lily's and do nothing to them them had about 3 years and always flower, and only water when they are in flower, I live in Warrington Area near to Bents Garden Centre !

Advertisement

Hi,can all you fellow arum lillie lovers tell me how long before a young plant grows to a mature plant.. Thanks

i have two of these a white one and a yellow one they are in the stone driveway in their pots still.both throw leaves up but then they die back to nothing again .the white one sent a flower then which proceded to rot away .everyone else says they are easy to grow but mine wont  

nutcutlet

How big are he pots and how much water do they get?

These  grow in water,  they need plenty to drink

I planted up some arum lily bulbs this year and have grown them in a pot, next to a south-facing wall beside some tomato plants in pots. I watered and fed the arums when watering and feeding my tomatoes. I now have luscious, large leaves, but no sign of flowers. I have no greenhouse, so will have to find a space in the house to overwinter when the frosts come. Do you think I have any hope of flowers next spring?!

I have Arum lilies all around my garden, some are on a drip system from a rain water tank. I find new plants take a couple of years to flower, they start with smaller blooms & then reach flowers larger than my hand. I dead head by pulling the whole stem from the root before they go to seed that way the plant will grow more flowers trying to seed. This year 2015 I had possible 50 heads on older plants & was pulling up to 20 wilting heads each day for the last 6 weeks. I still have flowers but it's slowing down. I cut back to above the ground as the leaves drop. In bad frost if the leaves rot, again I remove the mush to ground level. I live in Surrey.

Lily lover you are spot on.  I think deadheading is an under valued process.  Removing flower stems asap before they go over is the secret to long flowering.

The Goldfishman.   

I have 2 Arum lily plants in my fishpond, have been in there over 10yrs, and always in 18-24" of water, Winter and Summer. I always leave the Summers growth on through the Winter to protect the top from frosts etc.. I cut the lillies from May onwards. 2013 I had 147 blooms, 2014 had 257, and this year so far have cut 302 blooms..

A friend gave me an arum lily about 15 years ago. I planted it in the border and all it did for three years was throw up a few leaves. Eventually it disappeared altogether. Several years later, we built a shed with a concrete floor over the spot where the lily had been. Suddenly, the next year, a wonderfully healthy lily appeared from under the side of the shed. Ever since we have had a magnificent show of flowers each year. I do my best to water it in hot weather - as close to the roots as the shed will allow - but otherwise it gets no care at all. It continues to get better every year.

Hello Christine - better late than never. I live in Cheshire and in 2024 had not flowers on my Arum Lilies (which I adore) . I was advised by Bents the fabulous Garden Centre were I bought it - I was possibly over-feeding.  Earlier this year 2015 - I  bought some Blood Fish and Bone ( be careful with animals) and tis June I had magnificent flowers. Good Luck

Happy to report 2015 has been a wonderful year for my arum lilies. Nearly all the plants have flowered well. Following advice given on here I haven't over tended them, just the occasional watering and a couple of seaweed feeds early in the season. At their peak I think I had in excess of 90 flowers. (not quite up to goldfishman  level but plants are much younger!) The largest plant has sent 4 new very large flowers up this week, I intend to cut them tomorrow to bring inside in a vase.