London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
09/09/2013 at 18:52

I have several arum lily Crowborough plants in different parts of my garden. Some are in partial shade some full sun. I do mulch them over the winter to protect the crowns. All the plants are healthy and have sent massive leaves this year however I have not had many flowers. Most of the plants have not sent any flowers up at all and even the most established plant has only sent one or two. I have fed all the plants with a general purpose fertilizer or tomato fertilizer and have watered well. Is there anything I can do to encourage more flowers next year. Anybody else had this problem?

09/09/2013 at 23:15

It's been that sort of year Christine.  Were your plants hit by frost and cold weather earlier this year?  We had a long cold spring and everything was late.  They  normally flower in spring and early summer so by the time plants recovered they simply,wanted to grow, in my opinion. 

I never feed mine.  I think you are prob over tending them.  I would stop feeding

10/09/2013 at 08:18

Thanks for your reply. It was a long cold spring and the arums were possibly a bit later than normal this year so that could be the case.  At least I did not lose them.  I will try not feeding them next year to see if it makes any difference. I probably do over tend them as they are one of the plants in my garden which I would hate to lose. Did yours flower well this year?

10/09/2013 at 09:24

No....nowhere near as good as usual.  I put it down to unusual late spring.  If we get a mild long autumn we may both see some late flowers!    As I said, it's been that sort of year

11/09/2013 at 09:12

Thanks for that. Very reassuring to know it is not just my plants which have not flowered as good as usual this year. I hope they do better next year. Always concerned I might lose them over winter being in the north of England so I do protect them using spent compost from the hanging baskets but will try not to give them as much "tending" next year.

11/09/2013 at 09:32

I only got 2-3 flowers per plant this year. How damp is your soil? My Arum (I had forgotten they are called that and Zantedeschia aethiopica 'Crowborough' is a mouthfull!) are in heavy soil but free draining being near a west facing wall, so I am always needing to water them.

11/09/2013 at 13:12

Most of my arums are planted close to walls but the soil is quite heavy and usually naturally very damp being in this part of Lancashire however I did water them a lot this year when the temperatures were very hot during July. I have one clump located next to my pond and two more in pots but they didn't flower although they are younger plants.

11/09/2013 at 15:23

If you look it up at the RHS site, it classifies it as an aquatic or herbaceous perennial, so I would think it needs a lot of water - boggy conditions would seem ideal.  Ground near walls tends to get quite dry so perhaps that isn't the best place for it?

11/09/2013 at 16:24

You're right bob.  They can grow in water.   have done that myself, growing  in a pond. They thrive in such comditions.....in summer.  Remove from pool in winter.  Cold and wet a big no for arums.

11/09/2013 at 17:21

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. Ironically the few flowers that did grow this summer were in a clump right next to the wall in full sun! The clump in damper ground nearer the pond has grown lush with numerous massive leaves but no flowers. Hoping for better luck next year. Doubtless they will flower if they want to!

11/09/2013 at 20:10

Ironically, near the wall meant being warmer during the lomg cold winter and late,spring.  Since then though it would have wanted moisture. ,good,moisture during the growing season but dry during the winter.  Could you cover with a sheet of glass over,the winter Christine?

12/09/2013 at 08:40

Covering them with glass is not  possible but I could try fleece. When these plants were smaller I did overwinter some of them in pots in the greenhouse but sadly lost a lot of them, the ones outside did better.  I successfully managed to grow some from seed though and these have done well. Just looking forward to more flowers hopefully next year.

29/01/2014 at 20:09

Hi,

Is there anybody who would sell Crowborough rhizomes?

I would like to buy more than a few...

If interested just e-mail me on laszlo_nemeth2002@yahoo.com

I probably wont look here so just send an e-mail.

Laszlo

15/05/2014 at 15:17

My hardy Arum overwintered in cool greenhouse and grown in a pot sitting outside  in a tray of water since late March , has now been placed in my pond( still in its pot). I gave it one good feed of blood fish bone about a month ago ( did not want to feed it in pond) but it has not flowered so far yet this year......Mid May....it looks very healthy but I'm wondering if its too late to flower now? It does not appear to have suffered frost damage and was in a fairly sheltered spot outside but would have got cold with recent weather I guess. Is there anything I did wrong??

16/05/2014 at 07:56

Thought this thread had ended!  Don't think you did anything wrong, mine flower later than May so you may get flowers next month. Update on my arums, All the plants came through winter most of them didn't even die back probably due to the relatively mild conditions. All growing well now with large healthy leaves but as yet no sign of flowers but still too early for them to flower round here (east Lancs). Unfortunately 2 days ago we had a horrendous storm with huge hailstones pelting the leaves shredding a lot of them. I am sure they will recover though as there is a lot of new growth underneath the damaged leaves. Will let you know when the first flower appears.

16/05/2014 at 08:02

Thanks Christine...will be very interested to know when it starts AND stops flowering....do they go on flowering all summer.

30/05/2014 at 14:04

I have Arum Lillys growing in my garden they are in waste soil i know nothing about them i have lived here for five years now i don't do any thing with them nothing at all the first year i was here i had seven flowers second year 20 ish the third 40 ish and this year i have got nearly sixty and they are growing so well the flowers are nearly up to my shoulders. My advice is do as i did leave them alone don't feed or nothing it is working fine for me i know nothing about lillys.

04/06/2014 at 09:54

Wow would love to see them. I had decided not to over tend mine this year following advice from some of the replies I received. I have looked at them this morning and can finally see 4 flowers which should appear above the foliage in the next few days. Which part of the country do you live? My daughter lives in Preston and her neighbour has an arum which is as spectacular as yours sounds to be. He regularly feeds his! I am in east lancs and at a higher altitude so things do flower later.

06/06/2014 at 12:09

john from east sx   my lily is up against a south facing wall and gets little attention it dies back in winter at the moment it has reached about three feet and has about twenty huge blooms and will probably flowwer for another few weeks if I dead head it as the blooms die away

06/06/2014 at 16:50

Thanks John lucky you!! I have 5 flower buds but they are still underneath the foliage. The leaves are very healthy though!!!!

1 to 20 of 29 messages