Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ash Tree Stump

I have an ash tree stump at the top of my garden and I'm wondering how to get rid of it as I want to plant something else in the area.

I've tried pulling the leaves off about 10 times but they just keep coming back.

Ive bashed it and exposed the roots

Does anyone have any other ideas or anything that has worked for them to get rid of it?

Many Thanks, Matt

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I've lived in this house for 18 years now and never remember a tree being where it is. I've heard they are pretty hard to kill :/

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

You can get someone in with a stump-grinder. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

How big is it?  What's the circumferance of the trunk about 18 inches from the surface of the surrounding soil?

If it's a relatively young sapling (and you say that you've not noticed it there before so it can't be that big) it shouldn't be too difficult to dig it out properly.  Bashing it won't do any good - just dig a circle all around it to about two spade depths then work inwards (still at two spades' depth), eventually you'll get to the centre  and you should be able to dig underneath it, sawing through any large roots.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Here are some pics. I measured it 24inches in diameter around the stump. Do you think I could dig that out, its in such an awkward place image

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/mattbeer87/DSCF5363.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/mattbeer87/DSCF5364.jpg

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I wouldn't saw the stump off as it'll give you something to hold on to for a bit of leverage -  Yes, I've no idea how young, strong and fit you are, but I'm nearing retirement age and I'd give it a go if I wasn't off work with a slipped disc at the momentimage, but I did that cleaning the windows - not gardening - I've spent the last 12 months digging out roots in this new garden with no ill effects.  I'm just designed for gardening, not housework! 

Go on, give it a go and post us some pics - inspire us all with new levels of Olympian digging - we need something to cheer this week image

When you get down a couple of spades' depths you can saw any roots off, they shouldn't re-shoot from that far down.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Well being in my mid 20s and fit as a fiddle I guess I'll give digging it out a go at the weekend! I'll take some pics as I'm progressing too

• eddie3eddie3 Posts: 81

Drill numerous deep holes in the stump, fill holes with creosote or Round up. Sit back and have a cup of tea.

• biff227biff227 Posts: 18

I had the same issue - eddie 3 is correct  Drill a few holes in it pour some creoste in it, - I have heard that diesel also works though it kills everything and you won't be able to plant there for a while - I have not tried, just what I was told.