London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
7 messages
31/08/2012 at 21:03

Being new to gardening (and very enthusiastic!) I have been trying out lots of different vegetable plants.  A few weeks ago, I planted some asparagus seeds, perhaps a little foolishly.  Some of these germinated and are now about 5 inches high with some ferny leaves.  Should I leave these to grow over the winter, or cut them down as I will do with my year old plants? And will they be ok to stay in an unheated greenhouse over the winter? 
Any advice would be greatly received!

Hayley

01/09/2012 at 06:48

Where did you plant them, Hayley? They would be better off in the ground, cut back in winter, mulched for protection, transplanted into the asparagus bed next spring.

01/09/2012 at 07:22

I grew mine from seed, later in the summer as you have done. i left mine in their pots, I cut off the ferns when they died back and i protected the pots during the colder periods with fleece around the pots and under a smaller tunnel on the staging.

01/09/2012 at 08:59
Thanks both. They are currently in pots on staging, is where I was intending to leave them until the spring. Then I was planning to move them to the bed. By the sound of what you have said, that should be ok?!
01/09/2012 at 09:14

Sounds fine. I prefer them in the ground, that's all. The only time I used pots, the pots weren't big enough. I was a dill.

01/09/2012 at 10:02

If you want spears (in 2 to 4 years time) you will have to put them in the ground. If you are growing them for just the ferns(for cut flowers use)then they will be quite happy in a large pot.

01/09/2012 at 10:09
I am growing for spears, so was going to plant out in spring.
email image
7 messages