Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

attaching a trellis

Hi,

Im installing a trellis to my back fence, i have looked on the internet but all i can find is how to put it on the top of the fence. I was planning to run it up from the ground to the top of the fence. due to the lack of stuff on the internet is this not a common way to install a trellis. My most important concern is do i need to consider things like depth for the plant to get between the trellis and fence? its a framed trellis so there is few mm of gap.

thanks

• clogherheadclogherhead Posts: 506

Hi ,may i suggest that you screw the trellis to battens of wood  2x2 lengths in first that way if you need in the future to paint or maintain the fence you won't have a problem removing any plant material.

Derek

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Battens are excellent as they allow room for air to circulate around the plant and thus reduce diseases such as mildew and climbing plants can more easily twine around, or be attached by twine, to the trellis.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Another little trick is to hinge it from the bottom, once the battens are in place. Once a plant has established it's self, it can be difficult to access a fence even with a trellis. This will allow you to unhook from the top, let it come to a rest on a broom shank. Therefore allowing one to get behind it. For example, fence maintainance.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

marshmello, what a brill idea; wish I'd done thatimage

• clogherheadclogherhead Posts: 506

Hi Marshmello, as artjak says great idea will do once the weather improves

Derek

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

imageno probs.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

You do not say which side of the fence; the smooth side or the side with horizontal pieces. I have put trellis on both sides over the last few years, one handy way to do it on the 'smooth' side is as suggested above to use battens, OR opposite where the horizontals are on the other side, use very long screws and washers with 'sleeves' made from copper pipe or similar to hold the thing away and give the plants a chance to creep behind. With Morning Glory and Sweet Peas I find I have to be fairly pro-active in teaching them how to twine around things.

• David 25David 25 Posts: 82

Hi all thanks for the responses. I am putting trellis's on two lengths of fencing. One length with the horizontal pieces, the other without. I will take the battens idea on board. Looks like i may be waiting a little while longer than i wanted to with this cold weather as i planned to paint the trellis the same colour as my fence before attaching it.

• PipstrellePipstrelle Posts: 80

I know this thread was started a long time ago but I have been wondering about fence supports for climbing and twining plants. I was considering wire supports but how best are these fixed? Can it be done or is prefab trellis a better idea? If so, what material is best? I have a Hydrangea anomola petiolaris, Akebia quinata, Pyracantha, honeysuckle, and a Clematis, too. I intend to cover the vertical boundaries as much as possible, both to maximize the space and to maximize the potential for wildlife. TIA. image

• MishkaMishka Posts: 1

Is there a height restriction for a fence? Is it legal to put a trellis on top of a 6ft fence

t