London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
5 messages
26/10/2013 at 20:47

Hello Everyone,

OK...a friend of mine is getting married 2nd August next year....BUT they are still building their house and the "garden" is just a complete building site with diggers & concrete and trenches!

The completion date is end Jan...which probably means end Feb 2014...they are getting a massive marquee and the whole reception etc will be at home. E.V (that's the bride to be) loves Alliums...so I suggested the following...buy now having seconds thoughts...as she is just about to order 1000 bulbs...

I said...we can plant Sphere Drumstick allium and those big ones (all flowering in late July/Aug) in big plastic pots...then "plant" them into the ground on my allotment...that's now...and then as & when the garden has been planned, dug and sorted next year....we can "dig up" the pots on the allotment....and then just plant them into the new garden....

Do you think this will work....as we won't be disturbing the roots or anything...somehow I think they will be ok....

A rather mad thing to do....but thought you all will know best!

Any sugestions will be SO grately appreciated.

thank you .....

26/10/2013 at 21:20

Wildcosmos - i think it sounds ok - as you say, you will not be disturbing the roots, so it is only like buying a ready planted pot from a GC.  My only word of caution is that i don't know of any of the large flowered alliums that flower in August - most are in May/June - which is why they are the signature flower for Chelsea flower show.

26/10/2013 at 22:06

I agree with chicky on timing.  You would need a big chiller to hold them back...

Planting in pots is not a problem. Last year I ordered 75 purple sensation alliums. I then couldn't get them in the ground due to excessive rain. I planted them all up into 7cm pots. Theys overwintered in a poytunnel, I planted them out in March. They flowered in May/June.

27/10/2013 at 08:28

Thanks both of you....that brilliant news...glad I was on the right track...

28/10/2013 at 13:19

Just looking at my photos from last year. My alliums were over by August, the white ones flowered later. 

email image
5 messages