London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
14 messages
24/06/2014 at 14:52
Hi, anyone out there know about birds? Just found a baby pigeon the size of a small adult though. It was under a bridge on a very busy main road and was trying to hide against a wall. It tried to fly but could only flap a foot off the ground. I picked it up and put it on a nearby hedge to get it away from the busy road and the risk of someone kicking it. Should I have just left it? I couldn't see any parent birds. Worried now that it won't survive alone or it's parents won't be able to find it. Are pigeons quite resilient? I hope so. Poor little thing.
24/06/2014 at 15:06
Should be fine tootles, sounds like its fledged, but just needs to practice, it should be able to look after itself now, im sure mom and dad wont be far away, they have a contact call which allows them to find one another. Moving it out of harms way was good too, baby birds aint that bright!
24/06/2014 at 15:07

Most likely its a fledging (as you say it was the size of a small adult) fresh from the nest and needed to work on its flying skills a little. Its parents will be nearby watching it and will have mostly likely returned the moment you disappeared.

You did the right thing.

24/06/2014 at 15:09

hi Tootles,   Bekkie,s right ,no probs, no worries,

24/06/2014 at 15:15
Thanks Bekkie, Clarington. That's a relief. The trouble with being an animal lover is that I worry tonnes when I see any animal at all struggling like that. It was such a busy road; 4 lanes. Do they have good hearing to hear the call above traffic noise? I hope it survives poor little thing.
24/06/2014 at 15:20

Tootles - you'll find that city birds cheep a lot louder than country birds. They've evolved as it were to be heard over the traffic so I'm sure they'll be fine!

24/06/2014 at 15:21
Tootles, please stop worrying, if its got to this size then its got a good chance of survival, you also have to remember that they are not all supposed to live, we would be overrun with them if they did
They have good hearing and exceptional eyesight, far better than ours. You have got him out of danger from humans, the rest is up to nature, be thankful you didnt find a baby, feeding all the time and waking at dawn is a pain in the butt!
24/06/2014 at 18:53

Okie dokie. Thanks for that. I feel better now.  

24/06/2014 at 18:57

Glad you found it Tootles

24/06/2014 at 22:28
Clarington wrote (see)

Tootles - you'll find that city birds cheep a lot louder than country birds. They've evolved as it were to be heard over the traffic so I'm sure they'll be fine!

Nope! Just checked the calendar, it isn't April 1st.

24/06/2014 at 22:37
Its true David, they (clever people) have also found that dolphins who live in busy harbours communicate more loudly- basically they shout!
24/06/2014 at 22:41

WELL, WHATEVER NEXT!!!

25/06/2014 at 13:40

It'll be eating your brassicas in no time!

25/06/2014 at 15:21
Your in a mischevious mood Steve
email image
14 messages