London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
8 messages
06/01/2013 at 12:01

Happy new year one and all,

My front lawn is in terrible shape. About a third decent grass, a third bare patches and  a third clumps of cressy growth. 

Can anyone reccomend a decent grass seed to fill in the patches and kill the cressy growth (and grow grass in its place)?

Thanks!

G. 

06/01/2013 at 12:05

How big an area is it?

If only a third is grass -the rest bare patches and "cressy stuff"-not sure what that is-it might be worth starting again from scratch?

06/01/2013 at 13:36

The cress could be baby's tears (helxine).

06/01/2013 at 13:45

Helxine it is! Just looked it up. Probably looks nice on a plate but less so on a lawn. It's not a big lawn, about 8 metres by 10 metres.

Starting again is an option i'm considering. I only moved into the house a year ago and    the back lawn looks superb but the front is in need of an overhaul.

06/01/2013 at 15:18

If it is the state you describe -it is probably compacted and short of nutrient-you could go through a whole lawn weed/feed ritual-then reseed but honestly I would dig it up, get some organic matter in and prepare the ground either for turf or seed in April

It will be worth it in the long run-sometimes things get so bad it is best to start again

06/01/2013 at 16:45

Do you have a local lawn maintenance company?  I was totally against going down this route - until a couple of years ago.  I found that the moss and weed were just such hard work that I would see if the local chaps could do anything.  Well - the lawn is now a lawn (as oppossed to a hopeful patch of grass) and the cost is cheaper than the cumulative costs of seed/weed/feed etc.  And a darned sight easier, physically, so for me it was a no brainer.  Maybe it would work for you?  (I know it wouldn't be right for everyone - but sometimes, it does pay to invest in a bit of expertise!)

06/01/2013 at 18:38

Interesting thread anyone know what the toughest grass is with 6 dogs 4 chickens and 2 ducks my lawn has a few blades of grass here and there!

06/01/2013 at 19:25

Thanks for the responses. I've decided to get out the spade and dig it up when the weather improves a little. It's not a huge job. Quite looking forward to it. Will post before and after pictures (providing it looks better once done!).

Cheers,

G

email image
8 messages