London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 12°C
21 to 38 of 38 messages
09/08/2013 at 09:34

It is very foolish to feed foxes or badgers.  They are wild animals and should not be encouraged to look to humans for food.

09/08/2013 at 09:45

Surely one could say that about wild birds too, but think of the pleasure people get from watching them.

09/08/2013 at 10:02

Welsh onion yes they are wild animals but the winbeen was very harsh they only get fed when times are hard... And types we do love watching them but would never o near them... 

09/08/2013 at 10:34

Was the winbeen harsh, Stacey? Nasty that.

09/08/2013 at 14:38

If you tempt wild animals into your garden they may lose their fear of humans which makes them vulnerable. They may be tempted on to roads where they will be run over. They may also raid hen houses and dustbins and bee hives.

And if you have hedgehogs in your garden it's curtains for them.

If they make a mess or cause damage someone will come on this board asking how they can get rid of the animal/animals.

09/08/2013 at 18:50

Lol waterbutts the spell change is horrid no here with the iPad!! I agree welsh onion that wild animals are becoming tamer.. The badgers i my garden have been using it as their route for 40 years I'm the temporary one!! 

25/01/2015 at 22:20

I have a badger problem, only started this year. These little loves have destroyed my lawn by digging it over every night, it now looks like the battleground on the somme. I tried a strong wire fence all way round but they have actually chewed large holes in the wire and still get in.

After reading above I think I will be shopping for scotch bonnet chilies tomorrow.

Watch this space....!!!

07/08/2015 at 22:48

I have a badger problem like many of you, but only recently. I think this is partly because they are now over populated a bit like seagulls - both whom are protected by law, unfortunately. They were attracted to two things 1) a bees nest under my railway sleepers in the ground, and 2) worms under my lawn. They have dug a foot deep hole for the bees and plenty of scratching and nose sucking on my now patched lawn, which we have watered well this year. One of my neighbours, a lovely couple, both passed away this year and there house is empty and their lawn untouched. I tried putting urine (from a water bottle) around the boundary hedges and entrances but that did not work (it kept the mother-in-law away). Perhaps I will make them a large bowl of chilli soup followed by peanut butter sandwiches with a worm crust topping by a large notice saying 'keep off the grass'!  If all fails follow them home and the next evening when they are at yours go and dig up their lawn!

08/08/2015 at 08:49

There are several badger setts within a couple of miles of my house and soon after I came here (years ago now) the badgers made a lovely job of digging up my lawn!  The garden boundaries consisted simply of post & rail fencing and hawthorn hedging so I arranged for a local fencing contractor to fix some stock netting around all the boundaries.  It was simple to attach it to the post & rail, and in order to "fence" the hawthorn hedge, short posts (approx. 4ft left above ground) were put in at the foot of the hedge and the netting fixed to those posts.  Over the years the hawthorn has grown through and the posts & netting are no longer visible.

Stock netting -  the sort which is used to keep livestock enclosed  ( i.e not chicken wire)  -  is totally badger-proof.  It's far too strong for them to get through, and perhaps the wire fence Ferline referred to is not the same sort. 

Stock netting looks like squares & rectangles, not hexagons e.g. "chicken wire" - it  is attached so that the rectangles are at the bottom of the fence line and the squares at the top.  This is because the area of each rectangle is smaller than that of the squares and so prevents young lambs and suchlike from getting their heads through the gaps at the bottom.

08/08/2015 at 09:20

Watch out that the badgers don't dig their way in - Springwatch this year showed how a badger had attempted to dig under the fence newly installed around The Scrape - thankfully the fence goes well below ground level and extends back towards the badger for quite a way, to prevent  tunnelling under.  They also have electric fencing along the top - as we saw on Springwatch, badgers are quite good climbers, getting a good six feet up a tree trunk! 

08/08/2015 at 10:27

It's kept them out for the past 20 or so years - so I reckon it works!  They trot along the field on the other side of the fence these days, so I suppose the first generation of badgers who'd been used to getting in actually gave up, and the "pathway" now is a bit different, so I guess the later generations follow this altered route.  There are some quite clear badger paths through the hedges and alongside the field edges round here - and, sadly, there's a dead badger on the kerb about a quarter of a mile away.  A few weeks ago I dragged a dead one from the middle of the main road at the top of the lane.    There are literally dozens of badgers within a couple of miles or so these days, and I see carcases on the roadside all too often.   No hedgehog "bodies", no foxes, some rabbits, some grey squirrels - but more dead badgers than the rest put together.

08/08/2015 at 11:02

That's good! 

I think the Springwatch night camera revealed that there was one badger in particular who had developed a taste for the eggs of waders and gulls nesting on the islands in the Scrape - it was thought to be that individual who made a strong attempt to dig his way under the fence - fortunately the fence proved effective

Growing up in rural East Anglia the sight of a badger was very rare indeed - nowadays wherever I travel around here I see evidence of both of living badgers and sadly of them as roadkill as well.  I see at least one dead badger on most journeys through the countryside.  There are very few dairy farms in this area nowadays , so they're not perceived to be causing problems around here.

Every cloud has a silver lining I suppose.

08/08/2015 at 11:17

Certainly causing problems for dairy farmers here - my neighbour gave up milk production a couple of years ago - it  was costing him more to produce than he was being paid for the milk.  He decided to have a few heifers, as he missed the cattle so much.  No more - unfortunately - as they've "reacted" to the TB test and have had to be destroyed, so he's given up heifers too.  I really miss seeing the dairy cattle - grew up on a dairy farm - so am glad I took a few pics some years ago of the dairy cows grazing just a few feet from my back door.  The garden's quite shallow at that point, so I got some good shots!

I am now really concerned that dairy farming is so difficult these days - can sympathise with those who took the milk from supermarket shelves and gave it away.  Do you think that people would really object to paying a few extra pence per litre if they understood just what was going on?  I know that I'll probably be accused of being provocative if I mention "townies"  !  !

08/08/2015 at 11:38

I too started my life on a dairy farm - this was in Bedfordshire, Pa kept Red Polls and Dairy Shorthorns   Then the family moved to Suffolk - we then had a mixed arable farm with pigs and poultry. 

We get our milk from this local farmer http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10433359/Marybelle-the-local-dairy-farm-raising-the-food-bar.html who supply the farm shop on the edge of the city where my OH works. It costs a bit more than milk from the supermarket, but you can taste the difference - even if you only use skimmed milk as we do.  And the yoghurt and creme fraiche is superb

08/08/2015 at 12:17

Pa had three dairy farms and a milk bottling plant - supplied the local towns & villages.  Before all that, the milk was delivered twice daily, direct from a churn via a pony & milk-float.  Some ancient family pics of my sister and I when we were toddlers, sitting on the pony's back whilst she was still standing there "put to" the float at the end of the milk round.  The pony was called Girlie, and died in 1947 having reached a great age -  a bit like me now!  Initially the cattle were shorthorns and Ayrshires but I the 1950s Pa changed to Friesians.  We grew most of what the cattle were fed - so in some ways it was what nowadays you'd call "mixed farming". Eventually had a combine harvester etc. but I still have (in the shed) Pa's scythe and the huge hay knife which was used to cut the hay from the stack before Jones Balers started making the machinery to bale it.

My land has been used these past two years by a contractor who grows potatoes for McCains frozen chips - it was fascinating seeing the modern machinery in action - I remember how it was done when the only things available were carthorses! 

08/08/2015 at 12:30

Miss 'green' milk 

08/08/2015 at 12:37
My OH and I were dairy farmers until we retired. I cannot grasp the point of clearing the shelves of milk. If you ask most people whether they would pay more for milk they would say 'No.' If they are honest.

Unfortunately all Governments encourage a cheap food policy. Always have, always will.

I don't want to get embroiled in a pro- anti- badger argument, but I suspect the pro-badger people never stop to think how much badgers suffer if they get TB.
08/08/2015 at 12:54

Sensible words Welshonion 

email image
21 to 38 of 38 messages