Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

bald patch on lawn

Hi, can anyone help, i have a bold patch on a lawn i mow with a ride on mower, i travel over this patch as a way to get in and out of the garden to mow, every year i re seed this area with different types of grass seed that offer hard wearing and every year it is as bold as before, I even dug up the old soil patch over the winter months and replaced with new soil but still nothing grows. Its not even a place i could replace it with slabs as it would look very odd, although i did think of painting the soil green at one point lol

any ideas???

• astro turf? image

• backyardeebackyardee Posts: 132

Could this small area be slightly higher than the rest? you may have to lower it a bit.

Do you let the mower run for a couple of mins, before setting out. I suggested this to a customer of mine who had the same problem. It worked. something to do with the motor running a bit rich to begin with and the exhaust fumes were hotter and richer.

• r1tchardr1tchard Posts: 2

its in a dip but doesnt get water logged. and non of the other grass round that area is bold. the mower has normally been running for a few hours before i get to that point of the estate.

• backyardeebackyardee Posts: 132

It wouldn't happen to be near a car park, where the run off takes any oil leaks down to the lowest part?

does the grass every look healthy in that spot once you have reseeded?  When you say you have replaced the soil, did you raise it up, could you raise it up?

How about a photo of the overall area?