London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
8 messages
24/02/2014 at 17:22

I've got a bamboo (Robusta, I think) in a wooden trough.  After copiously feeding and watering it for last two years, it has reached over 10 feet in height.  Glad its not in the ground.  I want to gain some control over it.  Would it respond well if I lop off its height?  Somebody once told me that bamboo is just like any other grass so I can trim it back without too much harm.  Is that true?

24/02/2014 at 17:50

You can cut it all to the ground and it will regrow new shoots.

24/02/2014 at 18:34

Thanks fidgetbones.  Don't want to lose it completely, just the top four feet or so.   It's swaying over into next doors garden and don't want to be anti-social.  Might take out some of the weaker stems though at ground level.

24/02/2014 at 18:39

Shoots pruned to  6 ft will not regrow or branch as you have taken out the growing tip.

24/02/2014 at 18:53

So you're saying I need to cut it down to the ground?

24/02/2014 at 19:00

It depends on how you want it to look. The cut stems will not regrow and cramp the new shoots. I would cut all stems to the ground, have a good clear out, give it a feed of a general fertiliser, stand back and watch it grow.

24/02/2014 at 19:01

fidget's right Tim. If you just lop a bit off the top it'll look pretty awful and won't regrow from there.  If you're worried about taking it all away, how about taking the stems nearest your neighbour right down to the ground, and leaving the rest as they are . If you're careful, you'd still have a reasonable clump but it would all be on your side of the fence. 

Just realised you said it's in a trough. Can you not just move it! 

24/02/2014 at 19:15

Thanks for that.  I'll have a go tomorrow.  I'll start to thin out first, taking out the spindly shoots and see what's left, and then take out the tallest ones that overhang into neighbours garden.

Thanks FairyGirl - the trough is at the side of the patio that is at the end of the side passage to house.  It a bit of a wind tunnel up the side passage so I put the bamboo in a trough to stop the window rushing into the garden.  The bamboo takes a good beating from the wind but it does stand up to it - guess that's why it's called Robusta! 

email image
8 messages