London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
15 messages
28/12/2013 at 11:17

Sorry, but I am new to this site and think it looks great and perfect for my needs.  However, as someone who is not very good with techno things, following sites, etc., (but I can make a lovely lemon meringue pie!!) I am not sure how to ask a question and advice from any of you keen gardeners!!  So, here goes, if I am in the wrong place, I am sure one of you can kindly lead me to the correct section - my question is, if I cut down my 3 lovely bamboo trees (about 10ft/12ft high) to about 5ft high, will they grow back up again, or will I have damaged their growth meaning they will stay at the lower height.  I do have my reasons for wanting to cut them down, but I only wanted it to be a temporary thing really and hope that they would grow back up to 10/12ft again.  I did not keep the tickets so am unaware of their name but they were purchased from the local garden centre.  Thank you, and a Happy New Year to you all.

28/12/2013 at 11:30

bamboos are wonderful plants. However, each stem only grows vertically in its first year so once cut , the stems won't regrow.

Depending how overgrown it is, use anything you can, secatuers, loppers, ( I've even used an old bread knife ) to thin it out at the base . Take out the oldest , woodiest looking stems and leave the younger stems is ideal. Give it a good mulch with garden compost or well rotted manure and you'll get a good flush of fresh new shoots later in the Spring

28/12/2013 at 15:15

How long have the bamboos been there and how many stems has each one got?

If you want them out of the way temporarily could you tie them to one side?

28/12/2013 at 17:45

Before you go mad and cut all the shoots down, it may pay you to look for a few nice stems, scrape away the compost and see if they have roots.  You can then work back into the plant and snip stem with root intact and pot on.  That way, if anything goes wrong, you will have new plants to replace the old.

The lemon meringue pie sounds good  

29/12/2013 at 18:38

Wendy, don't worry.  You can cut bamboos as hard as you like.  Nothing will kill them.  For appearance sake I would cut to ground level.  Nothing will "go wrong" .  In spring new growth will emerge and grow quickly.

A word of caution.  Bamboo is very vigorous, very invasive when established.  Most of us get rid or try to get rid of it.  

I too am partial to meringue pie 

29/12/2013 at 19:49

Mmmmm lemon meringue pie... 

29/12/2013 at 20:03

Wendy - you may be new here but you certainly know how to friends and influence people   They're anyone's for a piece of cake - especially Verdun 

29/12/2013 at 22:14

Hey, I resemble that remark dove 

30/12/2013 at 12:12
hi Wendy i have bamboo so i looked it up on Bamboo RHS there are 2 types Running (invasive) Clumping ( not invasive) have a look
30/12/2013 at 12:44

I have grown several clump forming bamboos and all will invade.  They all go deep to emerge several metres away and en route they send up suckers.  My strong advice is never to grow bamboo.

I looked lomg and hard into bamboos before growing them. I took a chance but also examined them every year.  After 2 years, ESP in my good rich soil at the back, they had become a problem.  I removed every trace and this was not easy.  I had to dig out perennials and shrubs to access the long invasive runners.  I grow a couple in pots but, to my mind, they are not really happy grown that way.

30/12/2013 at 12:58

I've got a biggish garden with some wild bits and bamboo is fine. It's not something I'd recommend for more cultivated areas. 

30/12/2013 at 17:03

My own experience is totally different to that of Verdun, which doesn't mean Verdun hasn't experienced problems.  I have the golden and black versions of Phyllostachys and one clump forming bamboo and haven't had any problems with any of them becoming invasive.  They have been in the garden at least 10 years.  The golder Phyllostachys has thrown out a couple of runners but I've simply chopped them away and pulled them out.  They certainly haven't turned the garden into in impenetrable jungle, unlike the runners which came up from my neighbour's fruit trees.  They were a devil of a job to get rid of.

I've seen it suggested to contain bamboo by sinking a plastic dustbin, with the bottom cut out, and planting the bamboo in that.

30/12/2013 at 19:16

Bamboo will go deep to escape a bottomless bin.....in my experience.  

There was a feature on gardeners world last summer about a bamboo expert and his bamboo garden.  He showed one bamboo that had crossed the road to cause problems on other side.  He admitted to concerns about others he had there.  

I am sure there will be many growing bamboos without problems....however, the longer  they are in place the more serious the problem will be. 

Anyone wanting to grow a nice....ESP small...garden beware.  Bamboos will take over

KT53, the golden bamboo is one of those that caused problems.  You can chop off those runners you see.   However, I excavated to pull out and ended up with several metres each with lots of shoots.  You will be surprised 

30/12/2013 at 20:08

hi wendy, i have clump forming non invasive bamboo. i cut it as needed and take root cuttings with great success. hope this helps "meringue sounds good"

31/12/2013 at 13:03
for tall plants the previous owners along with bamboo planted pampas now that really is stunning,about 10 feet tall flowing in the high winds its in my opinion far better looking than my bamboo and no probs, i am worried about the bamboo as one is too close to my really good neighbours fence i will be having a good look at it ,
email image
15 messages