Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bamboo

Help wanted - can anyone tell me how to get rid of bamboo shoots coming into my garden from a neighbours garden. They are about 5 - 7  ft in length any I have just found quite a few

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

All you can really do is cut through the roots where they come under the boundary.Dig out the shoots on your side.  If you use weedkiller it could kill the main plant which could lead to a legal battle.  The roots can go down a long way so putting a physical barrier is quite difficult.

• I was about to say put in a strong metal barrier, but as MuddyFork pointed out, roots can go pretty deep. Might be worth a try though?

• Thanks, I've just severed roots and put bleach on the ends, apparently it gets sucked up and helps kill the shoots. The bamboo is between my fence and 8ft conifers so I'm not even sure they know they are there. Really appreciate your help as I am only in my 3rd summer gardening