London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
3 messages
17/06/2013 at 11:44

I made the mistake of planting bamboo as a screen near my conservatory, I had no idea the roots would be such a problem, everyone tells me the only way to rid the bamboo is to have a digger in to remove the roots, the problem being there is no room for a digger, HELP are there any other ways ?

Thank you

17/06/2013 at 12:06

Hi Lesley,

Unfortunately, I think that the general advice will always be to dig it out. I had to do this myself last year and ended up breaking my spade in half. The only way I could do it was to get what I believe is called a 'fencer's grafter'. It is an indestructable 'spade' that looks more like a piece of scaffolding with a blade welded onto the end. It doubles up as a spade/crowbar.

I think you will struggle finding one in the usual DIY stores but it worth it if you want to keep your other garden tools in one piece.

It was still incredibly hard work and so you may want to resort to the classifieds in the local paper and get someone with a strong back. That might also solve the problem of getting rid of the roots. There will be masses of the stuff.

Good Luck.

17/06/2013 at 12:18

.... and, as RF says, you do not want to put the roots, vast numbers of them that there will be, into your compost, nor anyones elses either.  If you can, burn them.

I agree with paying someone to do the job for you if possible - there are some things worth paying out for and I suspect your problem is one of them.   You could try tree stump killer on the cut ends, but I'm not sure that will be enough to get rid of it entirely - running bambbos are difficult - the clump ones behave themselves well - sadly they are rarely labelled as such. 

email image
3 messages