London (change)
Today 17°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 10°C
121 to 140 of 144 messages
01/07/2012 at 23:19
I have bought 6 bags of multi compost from B&Q this year and planted out all my bedding plants in it. All seem to be doing fine. I have also planted potatoes in a bag this year and used the same compost. I have'nt dug any up yet as not ready, but the plants look really healthy and the first flowers have appeared.
24/07/2012 at 23:05

I've used B&Q Verve MPC this year. I was a bit surprised at the amount of wood and twigs in it, but as yet haven't had too many problems. ( Got the glass bits before they got me). However, I used their growbags for the tomatoes, and I can honestly say that in all the years I've been growing tom's, I've never had such a disastrous year with them. I lost half of them shortly after planting in the g/h, and the rest are weak and straggly. I put it down to the awful weather earlier in the year, but now I'm not so sure! As far as the Verve goes, I mixed in some vermiculite and grit , and sieved it as well, to get a nice mix for the fuchsias. But I have to saythat I wont be using it again. Should we compile an 'approved list',  for ourselves, of composts  we know to be nice stuff, that we could refer to when neccessary?

25/07/2012 at 14:06

Scubydoo, I think it's an excellent idea to have an "approved list".   At the moment I have nothing to put on it!   I am now trying some Westland.   This is the worst year I can remember for my tomatoes and  beans.   Marrows are not looking too bad now after all the rain.  

I opened my last bag of Levingtons MPC (bought in the spring and unopened) and found it was just one giant ants nest!!  Uugh!   Something likes it then!   I shall never buy this again.

25/07/2012 at 14:44

Well, this is my first year gardening, but from the word go I have used Durstons Multi-Purpose Compost and it has never let me down yet. I've had excellent germination with everything, and it's great in the containers I have. On the bag it says can be used for sowing, planting, tubs and hanging baskets. It also has added 'Growboost' mixed in with it. I can't see me changing from using this as it is great for my purposes. I also recently bought one of their growbags when I re-potted my toms. All seems ok so far.

25/07/2012 at 20:44

wicks compost is one of the worse ones I have used and BQ comes second.

miracle grow is what I used in the past and will carry one using it,

I did start off this year with bq verve but did change it after a month or so because my plants were not growing so this knocked me back for 4 weeks,then we had all the rain,then we had strong winds which snapped my tall plants.

ROLL ON NEXT YEAR.  

01/09/2012 at 10:05

I've held off posting this until I've used quite a bit of it, but I've tried Homebase Plus with fair results. Its a little on the dry side and very compact, but crumbles easily in the hand. Its a touch on the woody side, so not suitable for seedlings, but for general potting up purposes, I've found it great. I've used 3 x 120litre bags of it this summer and its been consistent - and doesnt smell like a sewage farm! As long it remains as consistent, I think I'll stick with it. After all - if it aint broke, why fix it? I do add a little perlite or sharp sand - depending on the plant - from time to time as required, but I've used it on its own and it drains well and hasnt given me any problems. Thats all you need I suppose!

12/05/2013 at 10:57

My mother and I bought Growmore compost from Homebase this year, this too is questionable. Mother topped  up her raised beds, it started to rain heavily so came inside. Two days of rain before a revisit to the beds. Full of seedlings, weeds. A week later and her peat pots were growing fungi, pushing her expensive seeds out of the pot. Mine grew moss within a week of transplanting my stock. the compost was very fibrous, and looked more like bark chippings than compost. What's going on?  When revisiting the garden centre at Homebase, many bags have been split with compost being dragged out of the bag, none even remotely resembled the compost of old. Is any manufacturer still making traditional compost,  or is this a sign of things to come?

12/05/2013 at 11:37

I bought some Homebase own brand compost recently and it seems reasonable compared to others. Not suitable for rhodies and azaleas but I've used it for general planting etc and my sweet peas have just been put in a pot with it so hopefully they'll be ok. A bit rough so I don't think I'd use it for  seedlings. I had some Levingtons as well which I wasn't too impressed with. It seems to be a recurring problem this year.

KEF
12/05/2013 at 14:42

I'm glad this link has appeared. I've used Verve B&Q multi to pot on toms, poor coloured things, at first I thought they'd got mosaic disease. First time in 20yrs that I've had toms looking like this. I usually plant into GHouse from 3inch pots, I've have had to pot on into next size up in Levington's veg compost, they are only just looking correct colour on new leaves. I tried a weak seeweed feed, even considered Epsom salts, I just think the compost is lacking in nutrients, was lumpy, course and full of "wood", I had to break it down to a reasonable texture. My toms have also shown signs, as others have reported as having, what looks like scorch on early leaves..no way. The only ones that haven't suffored are the O/D variety, don't know name as saved seed from a plant I was given last year.

I'd really welcome tomato experts views about scorch that isn't scorch.

12/05/2013 at 14:43

Im very pleased with the three 125L bags of B&Q Verve MPC Ive used. I always sive it and whilst there are a few twigs etc overall its been very good.

Ive also purchased a few 60L bags of J Arthur Bowers compost which is on offer @ £3.60 per bag. I use this a couple of years ago and was pleased with it. The following year I went with sone well branded compost and it was awful, full of white mould and stones etc.

Im sticking with J Arthour Bowers and B&Q Verve from now on.

KEF
12/05/2013 at 14:43

p.s Suffered not suffored

12/05/2013 at 18:13
Liz Burr wrote (see)

My mother and I bought Growmore compost from Homebase this year, this too is questionable. Mother topped  up her raised beds, it started to rain heavily so came inside. Two days of rain before a revisit to the beds. Full of seedlings, weeds. A week later and her peat pots were growing fungi, pushing her expensive seeds out of the pot. Mine grew moss within a week of transplanting my stock. the compost was very fibrous, and looked more like bark chippings than compost. What's going on?  When revisiting the garden centre at Homebase, many bags have been split with compost being dragged out of the bag, none even remotely resembled the compost of old. Is any manufacturer still making traditional compost,  or is this a sign of things to come?

I had the same problem with growmore compost a couple of years ago and did compain and was told told to post the seedling to headoffice and I got the results back a couple of weeks later and was told the seedling were wheat.

This is all what was said and was not given a refund or anything else.  

13/05/2013 at 23:40

I woud have thought compost came under the Sale of Goods Act. It has to be fit for purpose. If it's not then not only should you get your money back, you should get recompense for consequential loss  i.e. the cost of all the plants and seeds that have been ruined.

15/06/2013 at 09:20
This is my first year with a greenhouse and I thought it better to use bought compost rather than my own to avoid unnecessary weed seeds etc. Used B&Q Verve and it was absolute rubbish. I watered my tomato plants in and the water just poured straight through and was immediately a dark brown colour - leached nutrients? I waited to see if it would soak back into the pots but no - it just sat there, the plants wilted and within 12 hours the water in the plant trays started to smell. I chucked it all out and replanted into Monty's recipe - I already had all of the ingredients! Result - beautiful healthy plants growing away ... Ta-daa.

B&Q Verve is not multi purpose at all - in fact it's only any use as an outside mulch, or as 20% of an outside soil improvement recipe. I have to confess to lurking near the stacks of it at my last visit to B&Q to mention this to potential buyers - but I didn't see any!
15/06/2013 at 09:37

Would it not be more constructive if you took a sample (or the remains of the bag) back to the store and complained directly to the store manager?  If nobody make a formal complaint nothing will be done about it.

I think you would be very lucky to get anything for consequential loss as the store cannot have knowledge of your gardening competence, but you should have your money back and a voucher.  I did a couple of years ago.

Also mention that you use messageboards, as the companies don't like adverse publicity.

15/06/2013 at 09:42

Problem is, I think it's unlikely that the B&Q manager has any knowledge about compost - however I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

15/06/2013 at 10:51
Sue Higham wrote (see)
This is my first year with a greenhouse and I thought it better to use bought compost rather than my own to avoid unnecessary weed seeds etc. Used B&Q Verve and it was absolute rubbish. I watered my tomato plants in and the water just poured straight through and was immediately a dark brown colour - leached nutrients? I waited to see if it would soak back into the pots but no - it just sat there, the plants wilted and within 12 hours the water in the plant trays started to smell. I chucked it all out and replanted into Monty's recipe - I already had all of the ingredients! Result - beautiful healthy plants growing away ... Ta-daa.

B&Q Verve is not multi purpose at all - in fact it's only any use as an outside mulch, or as 20% of an outside soil improvement recipe. I have to confess to lurking near the stacks of it at my last visit to B&Q to mention this to potential buyers - but I didn't see any!

I am not sure that this compost is entirely at fault here Sue

You say it changed colour to dark brown when watered -well it does -that shows it has taken up water-you then say it ran straight  through-so draining well- and stayed in trays-you are leaving plants standing in water?

That would account for wilting

You then assume that the colour change is nutrient leeching out -that is a big assumption

I am using verve it seems ok -others have have good experiences others not so.

Sometimes it is easy to say -oh it must be the compost -but are you perhaps not doing the right thing?

It could be a cultivation issue-not saying it is or isnt-but my experience is good

15/06/2013 at 13:15

I'm using verve, it doesn't seem too bad.  I find that whatever I use I get the old weed seedling coming up, I just pull them out.  I always add slow release granules to pots, as well as sand and grit, or perlite, and if using it in the garden I always add bonemeal.  Yes, there's the odd twig, and sometimes a scrap of plastic, but not enough to make me go back to the store.

That said, I'm going to get another compost bin, and I hope next year to start using more of my own home brew

15/06/2013 at 15:58

Dovefromabove, my complaint was sent on to one of their technical experts who rang me at home to discuss the problems.  You are quite correct to say the store manager was not an expert in compost; he didn't claim to be!

15/06/2013 at 16:02

Have used Verve sucessfully this year with none of the problems mentioned.

121 to 140 of 144 messages