London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
4 messages
30/08/2013 at 14:11

Hi All,

I've got a honeysuckle plant that for the past two years has started dropping it's leaves very early - like over a month ago?  It has only had two white flowers this year and I wondered if it was either a very sick plant or one that was supposed to drop it's leaves?

Should I chop it back brutally - it's wound tightly round a trellis on the top of a wall so I'd have to leave the wound round bits after chopping the bottom stems?

Or do I just give up on it and plant something else where it was so that it can climb up the dead branches?

What could I plant that isn't a clematis and has flowers (abundant) all through the summer/autumn?

The honeysuckle next to it has yellow and red flowers and does very well.

Any advice gratefully received!  Thanks.

30/08/2013 at 16:34

I am wondering if it is planted close to the foot of the wall...if it is, it probably is not getting enough food and water and  when it gets to this time of year and is under a lot of stress it drops its leaves. Plants should be planted about 45cm from the base of a wall and then lent toward it. The base of a wall will be a rain shadow area and the footings of the wall will restrict root growth. If you can't replant it further out then I would ensure good water and feeding regime be put in place.

02/09/2013 at 13:20

Thanks Daintiness - it is pretty close to the wall!  Will feed it and seewhat happens as I can't move it myself (disabled) and most of my friends are on their hols at the moment!

Thanks again. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

02/09/2013 at 13:30

There are all sorts of different honeysuckles, some with big flowers and some with small, some with white flowers, some cream, some pink, red, orange, yellow.....

They all flower on little side shoots that come off last year's growth, so do your pruning  very gently on most of the plant and, when it's big, maybe take one long growth out per year, leaving the others to flower.

email image
4 messages