5 messages
12/04/2013 at 08:49

My efforts to grow bare root plants are a disaster.  I follow the rules of soaking and spreading roots etc; but the autumn raspberries, blue verbascum, and perennial geranium, not a sign of them.  I have planted canna lilies, in pots and started in a cold greeenhouse and echinacea the latter I know I over watered so that is my fault but it does not explain the lack of success in the garden.  I have light but fertile soil, and supposed to have green fingers.  The bronze verbascum I grew from seed thrived the year the blue one died and they are now in to their second year so I do not believe it is the soil.  The only plants that seem to be growing well are some bare root strwberries I bought from Marshalls, the root system was super but nevertheless I just popped them in a shallow tub and let them get on with it not expecting them to live but they have in spite of me.   Is the answer treat them rough or should I just stick to growing everything from seed/ 

12/04/2013 at 09:01
Mrswick
I dont plant bare root perennials out into the garden preferring to pot them up instead.
Bare root geraniums for me just aren't worth it......the bare roots are usually dry and tiny. Much better to buy plants, even plug plants.
Large shrubs, trees, asparagus, strawberries, raspberries etc etc are good as bare root.
Do you,over water your bare roots? I tend to pot up in dryish compost in the dormant season. In march/april time I water sparingly for week or so.
12/04/2013 at 11:26

I've also had some disasters with bare root plants, enough to put me off for a long time. I think perhaps has a lot to do with how long they have been out of the ground. I've bought some from Hayloft this year, thought, and they are growing already.

12/04/2013 at 11:31

Always soak my bare root perennials as soon as they arrive but only for about half an hour or so. Then pot them up individually and give them some TLC I had some hostas the other day so have put them in the bottom (more shade) of a cold house (one of those plastic things) left the door open so they are sheltered , but not over warm.

Some of the other plants that came have received similar treatment but not so shady.

Do you use a heavy compost or one of the more fibrous lighter ones?

12/04/2013 at 11:46

Canna Lillies need at least 20C to start growth. Pot them up, water  and put them in the airing cupboard for a few days to spur growth.

email image
5 messages